About the Meta category

Everything related to this forum. Both suggestions and usage help with the forum should go here.

“Meta” is not a good category title. Better is somehting like “Forum”.

The name ‘Meta’ is pretty clear I think and often used for this category on developer-oriënted forums:

The Discourse instance used by the Discourse organization is even hosted under meta.discourse.org

The other often used name for this category is ‘site feedback’:

seems like a default of this specific forum software.

anyhow, why do i find this confusing: the forum is about RIOT. as such, i would expect that Meta includes discussions about RIOT, not the forum.

cheers matthias

this shows that the term “Meta” for this category is confusing.

I think the category descriptions give a pretty clear picture.

Help category description:

This forum is for help and usage questions with the RIOT operating system and related technologies.

Meta category description:

Everything related to this forum. Both suggestions and usage help with the forum should go here.

description is good. i find the caption confusing (it’s named this way because it’s Discourse default …).

To keep the discussion in the original topic clean, I moved the thread that spun out of this discussion to the original discussion about the Meta category.

Since @janosbrodbeck replied on this matter within a reply on the original topic, here is that segment as a quote:

This is probably just a matter of being used to it, as @bergzand already pointed out, this caption has a long history within the forum space (I also remember it to be used in the old the phpBB forums of old). I think we should just conclude, that different community spaces use different terms, that new people coming might not know immediately.