Unsupported CPUs / Boards

I has more pins, but I don’t think it adds anything different. It does have the default SPI pins exposed (from the NRFcommon). But these are remappable to anything.

1 Like

I has more pins, but I don’t think it adds anything different. It does have the default SPI pins exposed (from the NRFcommon).

Two things that the nrf52840dongle board are mapping are the LEDs and the buttons. Are those connected to the same pins in the same way?

Yes they are. So we can leave it as is.

1 Like

I also ordered this dongle a few weeks ago. RIOT is already running on it with a RIOT-based bootloader and DFU :wink:

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t edit the port anymore, but here is another interesting board/CPU:

AliExpress

It comes in two variants, with either an STM32H750VB (128 kiB Flash) or STM32H743VI (1 MiB Flash). In addition, there is also a 8 MiB QSPI flash as well as an SD card reader.

The CPU is programmable using the standard ST USB DFU bootloader or via the SWD interface.

The STM32H7 is also used in Retro Consoles like the Nintendo Game & Watch or the Color Maximite 2.

I don’t know how similar this Cortex-M7 part is to the already supported STM32F7, but it might be the only one missing from the STM32 family that we don’t support yet.

The Pine Pinenut (BL602) is available for free, for a certain amount of time. Keep in mind that they only have 1000 and they would like to see some porting effort for them.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Ordering Boards

Realtek RTL8720DN

• KM4 Arm Cortex-M4 core @ 200 MHz and KM0 Arm Cortex-M0 core @ 20 MHz
  • 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi 4
  • Bluetooth 5.0 LE

Price: 2 Euro for the Module, 6 Euro for the dev board.

wrt BL602: looks like NuttX already has some support.

Wow, I’ve been looking at some of these boards for a while! Especially The SparkFun Edge. A couple IoT cores: Ibex and [CV32E40P] were made by https://www.pulp-platform.org/ -There are some products made with it https://open-isa.org/

Edit: another one: https://www.seeedstudio.com/Sipeed-MAix-BiT-for-RISC-V-AI-IoT-p-2872.html and https://www.seeedstudio.com/Sipeed-MAix-GO-Suit-for-RISC-V-AI-IoT-p-2874.html

This should also be an interesting board: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-silicon-pico-now-on-sale/

• Dual-core Arm Cortex-M0+ @ 133MHz
  • 264KB (remember kilobytes?) of on-chip RAM
  • Support for up to 16MB of off-chip Flash memory via dedicated QSPI bus
  • DMA controller
  • Interpolator and integer divider peripherals
  • 30 GPIO pins, 4 of which can be used as analogue inputs
  • 2 × UARTs, 2 × SPI controllers, and 2 × I2C controllers
  • 16 × PWM channels
  • 1 × USB 1.1 controller and PHY, with host and device support
  • 8 × Raspberry Pi Programmable I/O (PIO) state machines
  • USB mass-storage boot mode with UF2 support, for drag-and-drop programming
2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Dual-Core support

For a board with an unusual MCU, there is the QuickFeather that comes with a QuickLogic EOS S3 MCU/FPGA combo chip.

CrowdSupply

• 80 MHz Cortex-M4F
  • 512k RAM
  • 16 MiB QSPI Flash
  • FPGA with 2400 LUTs & 64k block RAM

The MCU is also available on a tiny board.

A post was split to a new topic: LED strips with the BL602

A bit out of our usual use case, but maybe providing a challenge to enrich our feature set: An open hardware SAMD21-based game console with VGA output.

I came across some more 802.15.4 implementations:

QPG6095 SDK

Another company that’s new to me, also there is no way to publicly buy those chips or the SDK, so not sure how useful that is. You can request samples though.

• 32 MHz Cortex M4
  • 64k RAM
  • 512k Flash
  • 802.15.4 radio
  • no public documentation :frowning_face:
  • driver support in OpenThread

OM15080-JN5189

Now this is a USB dongle based on NXPs JN5189 MCU. This has the advantage that you can actually buy it ($29) and it has proper documentation.

• 48 MHz Cortex M4
  • 152k RAM
  • 640k Flash
  • 802.15.4 radio

a single MCU is less than $2 for the JN5188HN (320k Flash/88k RAM), so this could be used for cheap nodes.

2 posts were split to a new topic: NXP OM15080 SDK research

You linked to ESP32-S2 boards though. I have a hard time finding any ESP32-C3 board.

Oh yes, you are right! The shielding looked different, so I thought they must be new (and they came up when searching for ESP32-C3, thanks fuzzy search…)

I’ll remove that post to avoid confusion.

1 Like

Fireduino

I was gathering info about multi Core MCUs and discovered that Rockchip, better known for their multimedia application processors, also has a line of MCUs. Those seem to be focused on audio processing, RKNanoC is a single Cortex M3, but there is also the Dual Core RKNanoD:

• 2x Cortex M3 (one core at 250 MHz, the other at 500 MHz)
  • 640k RAM for the slow core, 384k for the fast one
  • APE, FLAC, OGG, and MP3 decoder
  • firmware on external flash

Firefly

On a quick glance I found no public documentation though. It’s also a rather old board / MCU, so this is more for curiosity’s sake.