Unsupported CPUs / Boards

There are some interesting and / or cheap boards out there and porting RIOT to new hardware is fun.

E180-ZG120B-TB

AliExpress (€ 7.27)

Features

• SoC: EFR32MG1B (40 MHz Cortex M4, 32k RAM, 256k ROM)
  • BLE

Effort

• similar SoCs already supported by cpu/efm32 (efr32mg12p, efr32mg1p) might just need to add vendor files
  • 802.15.4 driver provided by #9212

★★☆☆☆

Usefulness

• cheap 802.15.4 board
  • only UART, no programmer
  • chip is EOL

★★★☆☆

SparkFun Edge Development Board - Apollo3 Blue

Sparkfun $14.95 Antratek € 19.66

Features

• SoC: Apollo3 Blue (48 MHz Cortex M4F, 384k RAM, 1024k Flash)
  • BLE
  • ultra low power: 6 µA / MHz

Effort

★★★★☆

Usefulness

• lowest power ARM MCU on the market (?)
  • no UART, no programmer
  • Apollo 4 is a bigger chip, still current for small designs

★★★★☆

Sipeed Longan Nano

AliExpress € 3.23 Eckstein € 8.09

Features

• SoC: GD32VF103CBT6 (108 MHz RV32IMAC, 20k RAM, 64k ROM)
  • optional OLED display

Effort

• new SoC family, but periph drivers might be similar to stm32f1
  • general RISC-V cleanup

★★★★☆

Usefulness

• No Debugger / UART on board
  • RISC-V

★★★★☆

RAPITUS SAMxS

Pollin € 9.70

Features

• SoC: ATSAM4S4C (120 MHz Cortex M4, 64k RAM, 256k ROM)

Effort

★★★☆☆

Usefulness

• programming via UART bootloader (requires RS232 adapter)
  • rich set of peripherals

★★★☆☆

XMC 2Go

infineon $5.5

Features

• SoC: XMC1100 (32 MHz Cortex M0, 16k RAM, 64k ROM)

Effort

• new SoC family, all periph drivers need to be written
  • Data Sheet

★★★★☆

Usefulness

• Debugger & UART on board

★★★☆☆

CH579 Eval Board

AliExpress € 24.19

Features

• SoC: CH579 (40 MHz Cortex-M0, 32k RAM, 250k ROM)
  • BLE
  • Ethernet

Effort

• new SoC family, all periph drivers need to be written
  • Documentation only in Chineese
  • Example Code contains peripheral drivers (EVT/EXAM/SRC/StdPeriphDriver) that look remarkably sane / simple

★★★★☆

Usefulness

• No Programmer / UART ?
  • No driver / documentation for radio

★☆☆☆☆

Arduino Nano Every

Arduino € 9

Features

• ATMEGA4809 (20 MHz AVR, 6k RAM, 48k ROM)
  • 8 µA in ACTIVE mode when running at 32 kHz

Effort

• family is already well supported, but some new peripherals (from xMega line?)

★★☆☆☆

Usefulness

• little RAM and Harvard Architecture limits use for RIOT
  • architecture traditionally popular with the Arduino crowd, this is the latest iteration

★★☆☆☆

LGT8F328P MiniEVB

AliExpress € 0.90

Features

• LogicGreen LGT8F328p (32 MHz AVR, 2k RAM, 32k Flash)

Effort

★☆☆☆☆

Usefulness

• extremely little RAM limits use for RIOT

☆☆☆☆☆

5 Likes

Nice idea! I have a Sipeed Longan Nano and an LGT8F328P MiniEVB at hands, so that I could help there.

Also nice targets might be the Sparkfun RED-V boards. The use the exact same MCU as the HiFive 1, so they should be pretty low hanging fruits. I bought them because the HiFive1 was IMO way to expensive. The RED-V boards are slightly more affordable.

I have a seeedstudio gd32 development board (same MCU) and working on support for it. I have a local branch which I can push if you want to start porting the board :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is also the GD32VF103C-START that comes with an on board debugger.

AliExpress, TME

Same here, I got a Sipeed Longan Nano. There is also the Polos GD32VF103 for 2.99 USD. I got a couple of them as well.

I got two of the RISC-V BL602 dev boards. So, if anyone in Berlin (or Europe in general) is interested to port it to RIOT, just ping me. There is also an open source SDK for it available on github.

1 Like

me! I mailed the vendor when it was offering them, but didn’t get a reply. I’m also interested because apparently there’ll be Rust support from the vendor.

1 Like

It is more on the pricey end of the spectrum, but for 5G-IoT interested people the Icarus IoT Board - nRF9160 could also be interesting

The E180-ZG120B-TB is now supported (https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/15487).

2 Likes

I recently got a set of E104-BT5040U

Around €8,60 on aliExpress.

Features

• NRF52840 (Arm cortex M4, 32Mhz, BLE 5.0, IEEE802.15.4)
  • USB A connector with hardware USB
  • 1.27mm pins

Effort

★★☆☆☆

• Compatible with the NRF52840-Dongle.
  • Maybe some better definitions for peripherals as it has more pins broken out.
  • Documentation is minimal.

Usefulness

★★★★☆

• Nice sensor node with USB support.
  • Programmable via USB bootloader.
  • No onboard debugger, but 1.27mm pads are available

I am working with these right now, using the NRF52840-Dongle board definitions, would it be useful to give these their own board file? I think I could do that.

1 Like

Is the pinout (and bootloader) the same as on the NRF52840-Dongle? In that case we could just add a note to the documentation that this board is compatible with the existing dongle definitions.

If they have a different pinout we should add a new board.

I has more pins, but I don’t think it adds anything different. It does have the default SPI pins exposed (from the NRFcommon). But these are remappable to anything.

1 Like

I has more pins, but I don’t think it adds anything different. It does have the default SPI pins exposed (from the NRFcommon).

Two things that the nrf52840dongle board are mapping are the LEDs and the buttons. Are those connected to the same pins in the same way?

Yes they are. So we can leave it as is.

1 Like

I also ordered this dongle a few weeks ago. RIOT is already running on it with a RIOT-based bootloader and DFU :wink:

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t edit the port anymore, but here is another interesting board/CPU:

AliExpress

It comes in two variants, with either an STM32H750VB (128 kiB Flash) or STM32H743VI (1 MiB Flash). In addition, there is also a 8 MiB QSPI flash as well as an SD card reader.

The CPU is programmable using the standard ST USB DFU bootloader or via the SWD interface.

The STM32H7 is also used in Retro Consoles like the Nintendo Game & Watch or the Color Maximite 2.

I don’t know how similar this Cortex-M7 part is to the already supported STM32F7, but it might be the only one missing from the STM32 family that we don’t support yet.

The Pine Pinenut (BL602) is available for free, for a certain amount of time. Keep in mind that they only have 1000 and they would like to see some porting effort for them.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Ordering Boards

Realtek RTL8720DN

• KM4 Arm Cortex-M4 core @ 200 MHz and KM0 Arm Cortex-M0 core @ 20 MHz
  • 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi 4
  • Bluetooth 5.0 LE

Price: 2 Euro for the Module, 6 Euro for the dev board.

wrt BL602: looks like NuttX already has some support.