Additional sub-categories?

brief reminder that the current state of sub-categories is not satisfying. currently, there is a single sub-categoriy, Continuous Integration (under Development). this looks weird. would be nice if the admins could take care of this before we go public.

How about adding: Networking, Drivers, Boards, CPU, Package? That probably covers a lot of use-cases and isn’t to specific. If doesn’t cover your use-case, you are still able to just put it under development with tags. I also would like to have all categories accessible. If we go to deep into sub-sub-categories or are too specific with the naming of the categories, new contributors might have problems with finding the right category. If we keep it flat, new contributors have an easy access and we are able to use tags to be more specific. What do you think? I also can imagine adding Documentation and Testing as well, as @miri64 mentioned.

sounds like a good start to me.

I’ve created the subcategories suggested by @citrullin this morning.

Maybe this topic is relevant to be commented here? :slight_smile:

Is there an opinion on creating a “job offers” subcategory, or something similar?

Background: I am regularly contacted by people (from industry and academia) with RIOT-related job offers they wish to advertise to the community. It could be useful if there was a venue for such offers?

Good idea! I guess this speaks more and more for additional sub-categories within the “Community” category.

I think that this is a useful thing.

2 Likes

Ohh yeah, let’s have a job offers category. Question is just: Where should we put it into? Community might be a good place, I guess. Or maybe it makes sense to have a top category for this, in order to give this a more prominent place. What do you think?

[my email reply doesn’t work, so answer via web ui]

+1 for Community->Job Offers

+1 for Community->Job Offers

cheers matthias

Would it make sense to add an extra subcategory to “Development” called “Other” or “Miscellaneous” ? Because for example, if I have a question about a specific test, currently there is no category where that would fit.

Wouldn’t a question go into the “Help” category anyways :sweat_smile:?

Okay miri64, You’re right… but that wasn’t really the point :slight_smile: Let’s say I want to discuss a topic that is related to a test, or to an example-program, or to RIOT usage in general, or to the buildsystem, or…

They would all fit under Development, but currently there is no category for it.

EDIT: I just noticed that you can also open topics in the main category, without specifying a subcategory. Didn’t know that. My bad! :slight_smile:

I thought about that too. Not everyone is aware of the internal structure. So, I think it is better to have flat categories for help in order to not force people to pick a category they might not be familiar with. But tags will help in that scenario.

Job Offers implies people looking for help. Does the category also permit Offers of Help?

I think a job offer is something entirely different than someone asking for help.

Looking for help: “Hey, I’m currently using RIOT-OS to build a Delorean, but I’m getting the following error at compile time: Error: flux capacitor not found. Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?”

Job offer: “Hi, we at Thisaweseomecompany are looking for someone to help us build the space ship of the future. Knowledge of C and RIOT-OS is required. Speaking Klingon is a plus. We offer you a company-tricycle, 200k/month and unlimited bananas at the office.”.

I’m in!

I think Job Offers could be a sub-category of the Community category.