Zynq/Cortex A9 port

Has anyone done or started a port of RIOT to the Xilinx Zynq SoC which contains ARM Cortex A9 processors?

I know RIOT is not targeted at such powerful processors however it is a great platform for prototyping due to the FPGA.

Regards Simon

Hi Simon,

As far as i can tell no one has done such a port. The closest is an unfinished port to the RiOT Board (which is also based on an A9) which you can probably find in the open PRs still. But this port is in limbo and unfinished as is, and in general we focus our efforts on boards that cannot run Linux.

Can you tell us why you consider using RIOT on such hardware? We’d be interested in knowing about that. Moreover, do keep us in the loop if you plan to proceed with a port. Even though we focus on other hardware for now, some of us might be able to provide useful insights/advice.

Best Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel,

Hi Simon,

As far as i can tell no one has done such a port. The closest is an unfinished port to the RiOT Board (which is also based on an A9) which you can probably find in the open PRs still. But this port is in limbo and unfinished as is, and in general we focus our efforts on boards that cannot run Linux.

I can't see any PRs for the A9. Do you have any more info on this?

Can you tell us why you consider using RIOT on such hardware? We'd be interested in knowing about that. Moreover, do keep us in the loop if you plan to proceed with a port. Even though we focus on other hardware for now, some of us might be able to provide useful insights/advice.

The reason is it is our current prototyping platform and we will eventually move to a microprocessor such as a ARM M3. We don't want to develop all our software on Linux and then have to rewrite it all when we move to a microprocessor.

Regards Simon

Hi Simon,

Hi Emmanuel

I could not find it either, but Oleg just dug it out (thanks Oleg): add rudimentary support for i.MX6 and the RIoTboard (SWP telematics) (revised) by yogo1212 · Pull Request #1452 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub

Thanks I will take a look.

OK. We would certainly be happy to see some people carry on work on A9-based hardware with RIOT, and would support that as much we can. On the other hand, would it not make more sense to start directly with some M3 hardware?

Unfortunately we can't use off the shelf hardware as we are developing a new 802.15.4 based modem. The Zynq allows us to develop the modem in the FPGA and then run the software on the ARM Cortex A9.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon