WLAN using ESP WiFi

I am trying to run the SUIT update example and I am able to do it using the default “ethos” connection. There is also a border router method in the Readme file of the example. When I try to do it through an ESP32 border router as mentioned, I am able to connect it to my WiFi router but I do not receive a global IPv6 address as suggested in the Readme.

My question is, do I really need a global IPv6 address to create a local network? How do I create a WiFi-based local network using ESP32?

Do you have IPv6 (and DHCPv6 with IA_PD (prefix delegation)) enabled on your WiFi network?

Do you not get a global address on the downstream interface or on both interfaces?

I wanted to mention previously that I do not need to connect to the internet, just a local wireless network will do. Do I need a global address for that as well?

I don’t think I have DHCPv6 with IA_PD on my network. I do not get a global address on the downstream interface when using the WiFi uplink.

I just want to wirelessly run the SUIT update application. Is there any other way to do this? Can I maybe configure an ESP32 as an Access Point and connect another ESP32 to it?

I wanted to mention previously that I do not need to connect to the internet, just a local wireless network will do

In that case you can configure a static address (PREFIX_CONF=static) and set the upstream address (IPV6_ADDR) and the downstream prefix (IPV6_PREFIX) as you desire - but for testing the defaults will do too.