Using periph/UART w/ native

Hi all,

This is a first time post to the forum so please excuse any newbie language/etiquette.

I’d like to test some uart-related code using native before flashing to a specific board. However it doesn’t look like native cpu supports uart.

Am I missing something or is this the correct assessment?

Is there any work being done on adding uart emulation to native? Is this an issue already being tracked (i tried to check but didn’t see anything)

Thanks all for the help!

Evan

Hi Evan!

This is a first time post to the forum so please excuse any newbie language/etiquette.

Welcome to the RIOT community and no worries about any RIOT specific language or etiquette.

I'd like to test some uart-related code using native before flashing to a specific board. However it doesn't look like native cpu supports uart.

Am I missing something or is this the correct assessment?

Nope, you are correct. We just recently switched to periph/uart support for all boards, but since the native getchar/putchar implementation are mapped to the host's implementation of these functions there was no urgent need for a periph/uart implementation on native.

Is there any work being done on adding uart emulation to native? Is this an issue already being tracked (i tried to check but didn't see anything)

I guess you're right here, too: there is indeed no issue for this. I'll open one. Do you have interest in working on this by any chance?

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Oleg,

I would be happy to give the new feature a try. When you create the issue, could you point to some similar implementations as references? This will help me implement the “riot” way.

I imagine getting the periph_uart* unit tests working on native would be a good start?

Thanks for the help.

Evan

Hi All

Not sure if this is the correct channel to start , but will never know unless I try.

Currently I’m running Contiki OS for my applications with all the problems (biggest is debugging the OS) My applications are relying heavily on Open WSN that Contiki provide for the mesh network.

What are the status of OpenWSN on RIOT?

My solutions needs

1. Low power consumption
  2. Wireless Mesh

Any input will be appreciated.

Kind regards Ben Duvenage VPT-SYSTEMS Development Engineer

Hi Ben,

great to hear from you and about your interest in RIOT. First of all I am really sorry for the delayed reply.

In our current approach we pull in the network stack part of OpenWSN and apply patches with an adaption layer to map OpenWSN's hardware abstraction to RIOT's driver model. Unfortunately the current version used in RIOT master is quite outdated but we plan to change this and address problems we found during the last plug test soon. Right now we are kept busy getting a new RIOT release ready but it improvements to OpenWSN support have a very high priority for the time after the release is out. (This should happen in the next couple of days)

There are also plans to improve interaction between RIOT applications and the OpenWSN network stack. If you could imply what your specific requirements are we can take these into account of future planning.

I hope this gives you an overview, for any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

Best, Thomas

Hi Thomas

Thank you

I have with keen interest followed the development of RIOT is and see progress is great.

Currently I have a product running on Contiki where I use the mesh network side to route my data through if I can not see a break out. Coupled with "Drowsy" I can get a decent battery life out of my nodes. All is fine but debugging and documentation is the biggest problem with Contiki.

I'm in an investigation phase where I evaluate all the OS's out there (embedded of course) to address my developing needs. I need to run on a few platforms PIC32MX MSP430/2 CC13xx with preference to the CC13xx.

I would maybe like "donate" some time to RIOT and the mesh networking side but can only do so after 16 /10 /2015 Where can I start or I can I just download from GITHUB and start? Obviously there must be a co-ordinated effort as I have seen things get done by RIOT'ers Once I have something to add, to whom can I submit for approval?

Kind regards Ben Duvenage