Usb device issues in Linux

Hi - I did a from-scratch setup in a Vmware VM for the first time in a while… with udev rules, group file permissions etc.

for some reason dmesg shows the device come up as usual with ttyACM0

[ 415.330479] hid-generic 0003:03EB:2111.0003: hiddev0,hidraw1: USB HID v1.11 Device [Atmel Corp. EDBG CMSIS-DAP] on usb-0000:02:03.0-1/input0 [ 415.330544] cdc_acm 1-1:1.1: ttyACM0: USB ACM device

but when trying to flash it tries to write to /dev/hidraw1 - which is permission denied (although if you chmod it that device does work)

I’m sure I’m missing something simple on the “setting up” ?

using PORT=/dev/ttyACM0 works but I was sure RIOT had a default that worked without before?

cheers! Kirk

Did you configure your udev rules properly so you have write access to the newly connected device? While you don’t tell which distribution you are using in your VMware setup or what your knowledge level is with Linux, but the ArchLinux Wiki documents quite well how to do that.

my installer adds a file with the usual

KERNEL==“hidraw*”, SUBSYSTEM==“hidraw”, MODE=“0664”, GROUP=“plugdev”

My little script is quite handy for new-comers:

Is your user account in the permission group plugdev? You can check using the id command.

yep - dialout and plugdev. So people don’t get caught with this I put it into the installer and a reminder to logout/back in :wink:

I’m beginning to think it was a subtle change in behaviour from ubuntu 18 to 20