Updating micro-ecc

Hy!

I'd like to update the micro-ecc package included with RIOT-OS, since the current version is pretty outdated. Currently, the package uses a patch which removes all the random number generation code from micro-ecc and substitutes it for invocation to the hwrng interface. Wouldn't it be more straight-forward, to just plug the hwrng intefrface into micro-ecc directly (via the uECC_set_rng function), instead of making big alterations?

cheers Mathias

Hey Mathias,

Hy!

I'd like to update the micro-ecc package included with RIOT-OS, since the current version is pretty outdated. Currently, the package uses a patch which removes all the random number generation code from micro-ecc and substitutes it for invocation to the hwrng interface. Wouldn't it be more straight-forward, to just plug the hwrng intefrface into micro-ecc directly (via the uECC_set_rng function), instead of making big alterations?

To me that sounds like a really good solution. I don't know anything about the internals of the micro-ecc package but from a maintenance burden perspective it is usually better to have as small and as few changes from upstream as possible. Would you be willing to provide a PR?

If you provide a PR, check that the micro-ecc RNG code does not bloat the binary by still being linked in for providing some fallback mechanism. (Like I said, I don't know anything about micro-ecc internals so I don't know if this is the case)

Best regards, Joakim

Hi Mathias!

At the moment, I am working only on the basic update which can be used in the same way as the current version in RIOT. I have a few issues to clarify with the micro-ecc folks, but the pull request should be ready in the next days.

cheers Mathias