Unsupported CPUs / Boards

A post was split to a new topic: Dual-Core support

For a board with an unusual MCU, there is the QuickFeather that comes with a QuickLogic EOS S3 MCU/FPGA combo chip.

CrowdSupply

• 80 MHz Cortex-M4F
  • 512k RAM
  • 16 MiB QSPI Flash
  • FPGA with 2400 LUTs & 64k block RAM

The MCU is also available on a tiny board.

A post was split to a new topic: LED strips with the BL602

A bit out of our usual use case, but maybe providing a challenge to enrich our feature set: An open hardware SAMD21-based game console with VGA output.

I came across some more 802.15.4 implementations:

QPG6095 SDK

Another company that’s new to me, also there is no way to publicly buy those chips or the SDK, so not sure how useful that is. You can request samples though.

• 32 MHz Cortex M4
  • 64k RAM
  • 512k Flash
  • 802.15.4 radio
  • no public documentation :frowning_face:
  • driver support in OpenThread

OM15080-JN5189

Now this is a USB dongle based on NXPs JN5189 MCU. This has the advantage that you can actually buy it ($29) and it has proper documentation.

• 48 MHz Cortex M4
  • 152k RAM
  • 640k Flash
  • 802.15.4 radio

a single MCU is less than $2 for the JN5188HN (320k Flash/88k RAM), so this could be used for cheap nodes.

2 posts were split to a new topic: NXP OM15080 SDK research

You linked to ESP32-S2 boards though. I have a hard time finding any ESP32-C3 board.

Oh yes, you are right! The shielding looked different, so I thought they must be new (and they came up when searching for ESP32-C3, thanks fuzzy search…)

I’ll remove that post to avoid confusion.

1 Like

Fireduino

I was gathering info about multi Core MCUs and discovered that Rockchip, better known for their multimedia application processors, also has a line of MCUs. Those seem to be focused on audio processing, RKNanoC is a single Cortex M3, but there is also the Dual Core RKNanoD:

• 2x Cortex M3 (one core at 250 MHz, the other at 500 MHz)
  • 640k RAM for the slow core, 384k for the fast one
  • APE, FLAC, OGG, and MP3 decoder
  • firmware on external flash

Firefly

On a quick glance I found no public documentation though. It’s also a rather old board / MCU, so this is more for curiosity’s sake.

See #16036 for my PR, including support for the seeedstudio-gd32 development board

2 Likes

Also 2nd the Sparkfun boards- the Edge is just one of the Apollo3 based boards. Some seem to have UART available. I bought an Artemis Nano for $14.95. These are all the boards: https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=apollo3 +A La Carte could be used for designing boards with custom components. https://alc.sparkfun.com/ They recently released a LoRa board, but I plan to use the Nano before a larger one.

RISC-V keeps on delivering on it’s promise of diversifying the chip market.

Bluetrum has announced the AB5301A MCU designed for audio players.

It’s available on the AB32VG1 board and has support in RT-Thread.

• 120 MHz RISC-V
  • 192k RAM
  • 1 MiB Flash
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • FM radio receiver
  • USB 2.0 Host & Device support
  • 16 bit DAC, up to 48 kHz

No pricing or availability information yet.

This might be a low hanging fruit based on EFR32MG21:

Zigbee 3.0 USB Dongle

itead, $6.99

I intent to assign porting RIOT to the RPi Pico as a software project. So if anyone is interested in this and willing to join forces, give me a ping.

1 Like

There is also now an Adafruit Feather wtih the RPi Pico chip: The Feather RP2040. Pretty affordable compared to other Feathers too.

1 Like

Aaaaand it’s out of stock, wonder how long that took

From Europe it makes more sense to order via Mouser anyways :wink:

I add the nrf53 here, due to an issue we have on this forum.. The nRF5340 DK is a development board for the MCU.

Microchip just releases a new WiFi MCU -> WFI32E01PC using a PIC32MZW1

more info here -> https://www.microchip.com/Developmenttools/ProductDetails/EV12F11A

LoDev S76S. Its based on AcSIP LoRaWAN module S76S . AcSIP seems to have good inventory even in these times of silicon shortage. Once ported, maybe a good option for LoRaWAN prototyping.