***UNCHECKED*** Regarding Installation of RIOT OS on Raspberry PI

Hello to all,

My name is Vishal Rathod and I am a research scholar at NITK, India. I am working on congestion control and NDN in Internet of Things.

For NDN, I found that RIOT is very useful to do some experimentation. I want to create a topology like four machines (e.g. Raspberry Pi) with RIOT OS and Interconnected. I want to communicate to the four machines through my Desktop / Laptop machine.

I thought, there are two ways to install RIOT:

1. clone the GitHub repository and compile the OS.
  2. To install RIOT as an operating system like ubuntu.

My doubt is, how can I install RIOT on raspberry pi as an operating system? Or any other idea to install it as an OS?

Thanks and Regards,

You can't easily run RIOT-OS on an RPI as the operating system.

You can compile it for Linux native and run it under ubuntu, then connect (bridge) it to physical interface, etc. but that's probably not going to give you results you are looking for.

Hello,

Thanks for replying.

My doubt is, how can I install RIOT on raspberry pi as an operating system? Or any other idea to install it as an OS?

You can’t easily run RIOT-OS on an RPI as the operating system.

So, does it means that I can run RIOT-OS on RPI with some modification?

You can compile it for Linux native and run it under ubuntu, then connect (bridge) it to physical interface, etc. but that’s probably not going to give you results you are looking for.

Can you guide me which way I can create the same topology using RIOT?

Hi Ratho

RIOT and it’s NDN / CCN support targets essentially microcontroller-based devices. Are you too?

A testbed you could use in this context is IoT-lab: www.iot-lab.info and see paper https://arxiv.org/pdf/1406.6608

Emmanuel

Hi Ratod, I agree with Emmanuel here, maybe you should consider not using Raspberry PIs, but microcontrollers. Why do you want to use PIs in the first place? - Robert

Hello sir,

We are trying to use PIs as a client/server setup to evaluate how we can use NDN with PI.