Technical Report on RIOT

Hi guys,

a technical report on RIOT is currently in the making. The current draft is available online at http://hal.inria.fr/docs/00/77/69/20/PDF/RR-8176.pdf

The report analyzes and compares, in a qualitative fashion, existing operating systems eligible to power IoT devices, to conclude that none of them is appropriate to serve the whole spectrum of devices/requirements making the IoT. The report thus motivates the design of a new OS that provides all the necessary features, and outlines the key characteristics of RIOT which fulfill all the requirements identified in the report.

Your feedback on this report would be very useful. In particular, discussions on the following points would be great:

1 - suggestions for how to potentially develop this qualitative analysis further, and

2 - suggestions on what comparative measurements to carry out now, in order to complement this qualitative analysis with an appropriate quantitative analysis.

Looking forward to your feedback!

Best,

Emmanuel

Hi all,

here are some brief and quick annotations to the suggested paper:

- I think the two network stacks in Figure I are mixed up

- The data in Table I seems very optimistic to me: With those memory footprint we could not send pakets or use the network, we also have no stdout support, etc. Contiki and TinyOs both support multithreading. I never heard about supporting c++ in our system and I think it cannot be achieved on a msp430. What do you mean with full c support, we're not fully POSIX compatible, we are even not fully newlib compatible and cannot achieve even one of those.

- Contiki supports preemptive scheduling.

- We only support MCUs with vectored interrupt controllers and I rarely heard about MCUs without one.

In general the paper reads more like a marketing whitepaper than a scientifical paper to me.

Best regards, Heiko

P.S.: could you please add thomas to this mailing list.

Hi,

achieved on a msp430. What do you mean with full c support, we're not fully POSIX compatible, we are even not fully newlib compatible and cannot achieve even one of those.

The core is mostly libc independent. We support standard C as language, without full Ansi-C base libraries or POSIX. The point is to differentiate from Contiki (using protothreads which turn C into something weird) and TinyOS (written in nesC).

... but not through it's standard API (the protothreads thing), right?

- We only support MCUs with vectored interrupt controllers and I rarely heard about MCUs without one.

Which could be rephrased as "you rarely heard about MCUs which we don't support".

May sound like marketing, but since when are we idealistic about out science work?

Cheers, Kaspar

Hi,

achieved on a msp430. What do you mean with full c support, we're not fully POSIX compatible, we are even not fully newlib compatible and cannot achieve even one of those.

The core is mostly libc independent. We support standard C as language, without full Ansi-C base libraries or POSIX. The point is to differentiate from Contiki (using protothreads which turn C into something weird) and TinyOS (written in nesC).

But the core doesn't fulfill all the advertised features.

... but not through it's standard API (the protothreads thing), right?

wrong.

Which could be rephrased as "you rarely heard about MCUs which we don't support".

No. I heared about several Intel processors which we do not support, but they all have vectored interrupt controllers.

Greetings, Heiko

Hej Heiko!

Thanks for your comments!

- The data in Table I seems very optimistic to me: With those memory footprint we could not send pakets or use the network, we also have no stdout support, etc.

It's definitely true that it's hard to compare these numbers without defining a specific application. The numbers for RIOT are taken from a basic application that includes stdout, but no network stack.

Contiki and TinyOs both support multithreading.

As far as I know, they only support light-weight multithreading with a single stack for all threads.

I never heard about supporting c++ in our system

We have C++ support running on the MSB-A2 for the Wiselib, for example.

I think it cannot be achieved on a msp430.

Why not? mspgcc supports C++. Do you see any particular problem with it?

P.S.: could you please add thomas to this mailing list.

Sure, but he could do it himself, too. This is a public mailing list and anyone can subscribe at: http://lists.riot-os.org/mailman/listinfo/users

Cheers, Oleg

I think it cannot be achieved on a msp430.

Why not? mspgcc supports C++. Do you see any particular problem with it?

It supports no new() and no destructors.

Hi!

>>achieved on a msp430. What do you mean with full c support, we're not >>fully POSIX compatible, we are even not fully newlib compatible and >>cannot achieve even one of those. >The core is mostly libc independent. We support standard C as language, >without full Ansi-C base libraries or POSIX. The point is to >differentiate from Contiki (using protothreads which turn C into >something weird) and TinyOS (written in nesC). But the core doesn't fulfill all the advertised features.

I don't know any library within RIOT that is not ANSI C99 compatible. We didn't claim to be fully POSIX compatible - not yet.

>>- Contiki supports preemptive scheduling. >... but not through it's standard API (the protothreads thing), right?

wrong.

Could you be a little bit more verbose here?

Cheers, Oleg