Soil Moisture Sensor

Hi Peter, I’ve used the default parameters for ADC_0, that are described in the attached (RIOT/boards/samr21-xpro/include/periph_conf.h).

Hi Akshay, Yes, i tried to let the sensor floats in air, with a 10bit precision, and it gives me back a plausible value (less than 40/1024). Than i tried to put it in mineral water, and it replied with a value next to 1000/1024, that it seems to be correct.

Only in the soil (where it should works correctly) it gives back a no-sense value…and i don’t know why.

periph_conf.h (12.5 KB)

Hi,

Hi Peter, I've used the default parameters for ADC_0, that are described in the attached (RIOT/boards/samr21-xpro/include/periph_conf.h).

okay but that configuration is not in RIOT master :slight_smile: cause there is no official ADC driver until now.

Hi Akshay, Yes, i tried to let the sensor floats in air, with a 10bit precision, and it gives me back a plausible value (less than 40/1024). Than i tried to put it in mineral water, and it replied with a value next to 1000/1024, that it seems to be correct.

It seems the ADC actually works correctly and your issue is about the behaviour of the sensor in soil?

Only in the soil (where it should works correctly) it gives back a no-sense value...and i don't know why.

Did you play around with the density of the soil and -of course- water level of the plant?

Best Peter

Hi,

> Hi Peter, > I've used the default parameters for ADC_0, that are described in the > attached (RIOT/boards/samr21-xpro/include/periph_conf.h).

okay but that configuration is not in RIOT master :slight_smile: cause there is no official ADC driver until now.

> > Hi Akshay, > Yes, i tried to let the sensor floats in air, with a 10bit precision, and > it gives me back a plausible value (less than 40/1024). > Than i tried to put it in mineral water, and it replied with a value next > to 1000/1024, that it seems to be correct.

It seems the ADC actually works correctly and your issue is about the behaviour of the sensor in soil?

does the same soil sample work for other sensors ? I "feel" there is some loose connection on your sensor connection or some such thing on this board. maybe when you insert it comes out/ shorts somewhere.