Several levels in a DODAG in native

Hello everyone,

I am trying to implement a network using RPL and a DODAG with two levels. Node 1 is communicating with node 2, and node 2 is communicating with node 3.

But when I create my network (using rpl_init) I have a root node (rank 256 in the DODAG) and the two other nodes are rank 512 in the DODAG. How can I create another node with rank 1024 in the DODAG for example ? Is this implemented in RIOT ?

Thanks for your help,

Caroline QUEVA Research Engineer at CEA-LIST DRT/LIST/DACLE/LIALP Laboratoire Infrastructures et Ateliers pour le Logiciel sur Puces

Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives MINATEC Campus | 17 rue des Martyrs | 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9

Hi Caroline,

please take a look at https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Virtual-riot-network for creating a virtual multi-hop network.

Let us know if you need more help, Oleg

Hi Oleg,

Thanks for your answer,

I am currently using tap devices as described in the link you sent, but didn't find the way to define a multi-hop network. Should I use desvirt for multi-hop network ? I looked at desvirt before and thought it was only for creating grid topologies and I would like to have a tree topology, is it possible ?

Thanks for your help,

Caroline QUEVA Research Engineer at CEA-LIST DRT/LIST/DACLE/LIALP Laboratoire Infrastructures et Ateliers pour le Logiciel sur Puces

Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives MINATEC Campus | 17 rue des Martyrs | 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9

Hi Caroline!

I am currently using tap devices as described in the link you sent, but didn't find the way to define a multi-hop network. Should I use desvirt for multi-hop network ?

Yes, that would be the way to go for a virtual multi-hop network.

I looked at desvirt before and thought it was only for creating grid topologies and I would like to have a tree topology, is it possible ?

Yes, this is possible. The topology_creator is part of desvirt and can help you to configure simple standard topologies. Basically, it generates an XML file in the .desvirt subdirectory that describes the topology. You can modify this XML file in order to setup every desired topology.

Please take a look at the XML file(s) and let us know how self-explaining you'll find them.

Cheers, Oleg