SAMR21 ram overflow issue w/ rpl_udp example

Hi RIOTers,

I am trying to compile the latest rpl_udp example for my SAMR21 Xpro. The compile was fine but I had an error message from the link. It bailed out with a ram overflow error.

~/RIOT/examples/rpl_udp$ make BOARD=samr21-xpro … /home/user/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2014q4/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.9.3/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: /home/user/RIOT/examples/rpl_udp/bin/samr21-xpro/rpl_udp.elf section .bss' will not fit in region ram’ /home/user/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_9-2014q4/bin/…/lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.9.3/…/…/…/…/arm-none-eabi/bin/ld: region `ram’ overflowed by 3544 bytes collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [all] Error 1

The toolchain version is “gcc version 4.9.3 20141119 (release) [ARM/embedded-4_9-branch revision 218278] (GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors)”. The RIOT source code was pulled off github as of today. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Regards,

Steve M.

Hi Steve!

The default routing table size is at 128 entries, that’s too much for the samr21-xrpo :slight_smile:

Can you try the following: BOARD=samr21-xpro make clean all RPL_MAX_ROUTING_ENTRIES=6 and see how this works out for you? You can even play a little bit around with the entry size, maybe you will find better values for your use case.

Cheers, Cenk

Thanks Cenk, It worked. I tried 64 and 32 before I posted the message. I should have tried smaller numbers.

Regards,

Steve

You could play with larger numbers with reduced stack size. Reduce the kernel stack size.

Akshay

Thanks, Akshay. Will try.

Regards, Steve M.