sample code: swtimer

Hey all,

I'm trying to build some riot sample code (on native platform):

http://riot-os.org/files/01.Introduction.pdf

on page 11 the swtimer is used, but it seems that it's not in riot anymore? I have only found a vtimer, but it lags some needed functions...

best, Christian

Hi Christian,

yes swtimer is removed, there also exist a resolved github issue for the swtimer.

However what functions do you need, which are not provided? I do not see anything which was provided by the swtimer which is not possible anymore.

Reagrds,    Milan

Hi Milan,

also exist a resolved github issue for the

swtimer.

I see...

However what functions do you need, which are not provided? I do not see anything which was provided by the swtimer which is not possible anymore.

I'm just digging around. I try understand riot and try to build some "setTimeout"-like code.

I have this code: http://pastebin.com/J7FyEXWA

but

/home/c/git/RIOT-OS/projects/hello-world-timer/bin/hello-world.a(main.o): In function `main': main.c:(.text+0x7d): undefined reference to `timex_set' main.c:(.text+0xb9): undefined reference to `vtimer_set_wakeup' collect2: Fehler: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück make: *** [all] Fehler 1

Christian

/home/c/git/RIOT-OS/projects/hello-world-timer/bin/hello-world.a(main.o): In function `main': main.c:(.text+0x7d): undefined reference to `timex_set' main.c:(.text+0xb9): undefined reference to `vtimer_set_wakeup' collect2: Fehler: ld gab 1 als Ende-Status zurück make: *** [all] Fehler 1

ok, I added USEMODULE += vtimer to the makefile and now i have a .elf file :slight_smile:

but I don't have the expected behavior, I want some code called periodically.

but I get this: $ ./bin/hello-world.elf RIOT native cpu initialized. RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized. LED_GREEN_OFF LED_RED_ON RIOT native board initialized. RIOT native hardware initialization complete.

kernel_init(): This is RIOT! Scheduler...[OK] kernel_init(): jumping into first task... LED_RED_ON LED_GREEN_OFF LED_GREEN_TOGGLE LED_RED_TOGGLE Das Signal SIGNALRM empfangen (Der Wecker klingelt)

Christian

Hi Christian,

ok, I added USEMODULE += vtimer to the makefile and now i have a .elf file :slight_smile:

yes, when ld complains mostly not everything you need was build.

but I don't have the expected behavior, I want some code called periodically.

but I get this: $ ./bin/hello-world.elf RIOT native cpu initialized. RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized. LED_GREEN_OFF LED_RED_ON RIOT native board initialized. RIOT native hardware initialization complete.

kernel_init(): This is RIOT! Scheduler...[OK] kernel_init(): jumping into first task... LED_RED_ON LED_GREEN_OFF LED_GREEN_TOGGLE LED_RED_TOGGLE Das Signal SIGNALRM empfangen (Der Wecker klingelt)

At first please add either the autoinit module or init the timer manual. To only call the code in function blinker every second remove line 29 to 32 and change blinker to:

while(1) {    LED_GREEN_TOGGLE();    LED_RED_TOGGLE();    vtimer_usleep(SEC); }

To have something more close to your original implementation you could also delete the thread_create and use the vtimer to call the function blinker like this:

t1.action = (void*) blinker; t1.absolute = t_time; t1.arg = null; vtimer_set(&t1);

But this will call blinker only once, if you want to recall it you have to set a new timer in blinker or else may set already 5 timer in your main. Don't be confused about t1.absolute, vtimer_now() will be added in vtimer_set. You will stay in vtimer callback during your function call, so for bigger actions I would suggest to create a new thread instead of calling a function direct.

Regards,    Milan