RIOT sprint day

Hi,

apparently the RIOT sprint days proposed a while back are already happening. I'd like to have some transparency: when are they happening and how are they organized (incl. how can one join / can anybody join)?

Best regards, Martine

Hi Martine,

apparently the RIOT sprint days proposed a while back are already happening. I'd like to have some transparency: when are they happening and how are they organized (incl. how can one join / can anybody join)?

They are currently happening every Tuesday. We're usually adding PR's to the project beforehand. On Sprint Days, we have a short Visio at usually 10:30, then start hacking using a somewhat defined workflow including moving PR's around in the project and chatting in a Mastodon instance. We finish up with a short debrief Visio around 5pm.

Everyone can join! Everyone is welcome.

So far they have been quite effective, as in, the current Sprinters are running out of interesting PRs of themselves, and we've started reviewing "external" PRs.

Kaspar

Hi Kaspar,

then why not advertise it more? E.g. by posting the relevant links a day ahead to devel?

Best regards, Martine

Hi,

then why not advertise it more? E.g. by posting the relevant links a day ahead to devel?

The interest when first announced was quite limited (basically zero interest). After the announcement that this is really happening and feels productive and everyone is welcome (at the VMA), we got zero feedback. Your mail is the first.

This month's lead is @aabadie, it is his call, but we can surely announce this again.

We'll need to figure out if / how useful non-maintainers are in this format, though.

Kaspar

Hi,

So you judge this as a hen and egg then? There is no interest, since not many people know about it, so there is no advertisement for it since not enough interest was generated. However, IMHO with more advertisement and more transparency this could be easily resolved.

Best regards, Martine

Hey Martine,

So you judge this as a hen and egg then? There is no interest, since not many people know about it, so there is no advertisement for it since not enough interest was generated.

Well, I had pitched the idea on maintainers@, and noone but Francisco replied. We then started the thing, and announced that again at the VMA [1], with zero feedback. I thought at this point at least every maintainer is aware of it happening and who to contact if there's further interest.

However, IMHO with more advertisement and more transparency this could be easily resolved.

Totally, let's just do that. It was the plan anyways. From now on, we'll send invitations on maintainers@riot-os.org, either a day early or on Tuesdays in the morning. We'll also start writing up how the workflow looks like, probably on some wiki page. There's also the Github Project [2] for anyone interested in watching the progress.

We've discussed a bit, and came to the conclusion that the format is not really suitable for non-maintainers. The idea is that people both review and get reviewed (their PRs that is). So for now, the Sprint Day will be maintainers only. Everyone else, please come join the monthly Hack'n'Acks!

Happy hacking, Kaspar [2] RIOT Sprint Day · GitHub

Hey Martine,

So you judge this as a hen and egg then? There is no interest, since not many people know about it, so there is no advertisement for it since not enough interest was generated.

Well, I had pitched the idea on maintainers@, and noone but Francisco replied. We then started the thing, and announced that again at the VMA [1], with zero feedback. I thought at this point at least every maintainer is aware of it happening and who to contact if there’s further interest.

(adding missing ref :wink: [1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/VMA-2020-02-minutes#riot-sprint-day-kaspar