RIOT/OpenWSN and TSCH support

[was: Refectoring the network stack]

Adam, all,

I’m co-leading the OpenWSN project. CC’ing the OpenWSN ML.

In 2014, the IETF 6TiSCH working group (which is standardizing how to use IEEE802.15.4e TSCH in combination with 6LoWPAN, RPL, CoAP) organized two “plugfests”:

Following this success, the OpenWSN team is re-architecting its code so that the “kernel” can be dynamically changed at compile time. Choices will be openos (the native OpenWSN scheduler), RIOT and FreeRTOS. Lead on that project is Xavi Vilajosana, details at https://openwsn.atlassian.net/browse/FW-16.

Note that the 6TiSCH WG, in conjunction with ETSI, will organize a 6TiSCH interop event during IETF93 (July 2015, Prague) around 6TISCH technology, so including IEEE802.15.4e TSCH. You (and RIOT of course!) might be interested in participating. The plan is to come up with writing the test spec by March 2015.

BTW, I happen to be giving a talk about OpenWSN in 90min (https://swarmlab.eecs.berkeley.edu/events/2014/8/22/5118/openwsn-technical-overview-status-and-road-ahead), which is streamed live online. I’ll talk about the RIOT integration, so you might be interested to listen.

Thomas

Hi Thomas!

Note that the 6TiSCH WG, in conjunction with ETSI, will organize a 6TiSCH interop event during IETF93 (July 2015, Prague) around 6TISCH technology, so including IEEE802.15.4e TSCH. You (and RIOT of course!) might be interested in participating. The plan is to come up with writing the test spec by March 2015.

We will most certainly participate - and not only because Prague is just a stone's throw (how RIOTy...) away from Berlin. :wink:

BTW, I happen to be giving a talk about OpenWSN in 90min ( https://swarmlab.eecs.berkeley.edu/events/2014/8/22/5118/openwsn-technical-overview-status-and-road-ahead), which is streamed live online. I'll talk about the RIOT integration, so you might be interested to listen.

By the way, thanks for the nice mentioning of RIOT this morning at the IoT-Lab inauguration.

Cheers, Oleg

Oleg,

Excellent, glad to hear that you plan on participating.

Happy to mention RIOT, I didn’t know you were there :slight_smile:

Thomas

I’d love to attend IETF93 if for no other reason than I have yet to get myself to Prague. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be about to swing the US$1200 in airfare plus accommodations. I really need to find myself some wealthy benefactor interested in WSN research.

Hey Thomas!

Happy to mention RIOT, I didn't know you were there :slight_smile:

Yes, tomorrow I'll give a tutorial about RIOT on IoT-Lab. It was very nice talk, by the way. Particular, taking the time of day into account. :wink:

Cheers, Oleg

What are the chances that there will be video of this talk available for those of us who aren’t so fortunate to live in the vicinity of IoT-Lab?

Hi Adam!

What are the chances that there will be video of this talk available for those of us who aren't so fortunate to live in the vicinity of IoT-Lab?

Actually quiet high. We're planning to make a screencast of it. But I cannot promise a timeframe when this might happen.

Cheers, Oleg