Riot on iot-lab

Hi devs,

Don't know if it's the best place for asking this.

I recently worked on several things on iotlab: - adding support of samr21-xpro boards as new custom nodes. Of course, I wrote a firmware code based on RIOT for the continuous integration system ;). But to make it fully compatible with what the CI is expecting, I had to patch slightly the RIOT shell code by removing the echo of the input command and the display of the prompt character ('>'). This patch is based on compiler options (SHELL_NO_PROMPT and SHELL_NO_ECHO) which are not set by default. Would you accept such a contribution ? (I know it doesn't really help RIOT). - porting riot to the a8-m3 open nodes with [1]. I need this soon in order to write tutorials showing how to configure a BR with RIOT and use coap (I'll reuse most of the examples). I'll have to build ethos and uhcpd on the a8 and the iotlab team wants to first start on those ones (before testing the m3). Can someone review this soon ?

Thanks you !

Alex

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/5167

Hi Alex!

I think the mailing list is a good place for this discussion. :slight_smile:

- adding support of samr21-xpro boards as new custom nodes. Of course, I wrote a firmware code based on RIOT for the continuous integration system ;). But to make it fully compatible with what the CI is expecting, I had to patch slightly the RIOT shell code by removing the echo of the input command and the display of the prompt character ('>'). This patch is based on compiler options (SHELL_NO_PROMPT and SHELL_NO_ECHO) which are not set by default. Would you accept such a contribution ? (I know it doesn't really help RIOT).

Out of curiosity: what is different for the samr21-xpro nodes compared to the "regular" iotlab-m3 nodes where we don't need this patch?

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Oleg,

Hi Alex!

I think the mailing list is a good place for this discussion. :slight_smile:

- adding support of samr21-xpro boards as new custom nodes. Of course, I wrote a firmware code based on RIOT for the continuous integration system ;). But to make it fully compatible with what the CI is expecting, I had to patch slightly the RIOT shell code by removing the echo of the input command and the display of the prompt character ('>'). This patch is based on compiler options (SHELL_NO_PROMPT and SHELL_NO_ECHO) which are not set by default. Would you accept such a contribution ? (I know it doesn't really help RIOT).

Out of curiosity: what is different for the samr21-xpro nodes compared to the "regular" iotlab-m3 nodes where we don't need this patch?

For M3 and A8-M3 nodes, the test firmwares are written using openlab.

For samr21-xpro, as it is not supported by openlab, we thought it would be a good idea to write this firmware using RIOT. In the same time it would give us a firmware compilable with platforms supported by RIOT.

Then, adding support for any RIOT compatible board on IoT-LAB would only be adding administration code.

Regards, Gaëtan - IoT-LAB Team

Gaëtan,

> > - adding support of samr21-xpro boards as new custom nodes. Of course, I > > wrote a firmware code based on RIOT for the continuous integration system > > ;). But to make it fully compatible with what the CI is expecting, I had to > > patch slightly the RIOT shell code by removing the echo of the input command > > and the display of the prompt character ('>'). This patch is based on > > compiler options (SHELL_NO_PROMPT and SHELL_NO_ECHO) which are not set by > > default. Would you accept such a contribution ? (I know it doesn't really > > help RIOT). > Out of curiosity: what is different for the samr21-xpro nodes compared to the > "regular" iotlab-m3 nodes where we don't need this patch? For M3 and A8-M3 nodes, the test firmwares are written using openlab.

thanks for the explanation. So, we're talking here actually not about the code that the user is supposed to run, but about the software used for internal tests?

For samr21-xpro, as it is not supported by openlab, we thought it would be a good idea to write this firmware using RIOT.

Sounds like a splendid idea to me, too. :wink:

In the same time it would give us a firmware compilable with platforms supported by RIOT.

Then, adding support for any RIOT compatible board on IoT-LAB would only be adding administration code.

Cool.

Cheers, Oleg

Gaëtan,

For M3 and A8-M3 nodes, the test firmwares are written using openlab.

thanks for the explanation. So, we're talking here actually not about the code that the user is supposed to run, but about the software used for internal tests?

Exactly

Hi,

If someone wants to have a look, here is the PR : sys/shell: adding definition for deactiving prompt and/or echo in shell by aabadie · Pull Request #5462 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub

> For samr21-xpro, as it is not supported by openlab, we thought it would be > a > good idea to write this firmware using RIOT.

Note that we can already write RIOT based firmwares for m3 and fox.

Alex