RIOT examples

Hey fellow RIOTers,

listening to incoming feedback about RIOT, it seems that while we get a lot of praise for our well-documented API, it seems that people are missing more high-level concept documentation and more to-the-point examples on how to do things in RIOT.

Looking at our example code, apart from everything in "tests/" which are mostly applications used by developers to test certain aspects of the codes, we only have rather high-level example applications.

I propose to extend these with very simple, condensed example "applications", where each example just shows how to do a simple task, like "set up a periodic timer".

Initially I thought about creating a directory structure that corresponds to either the file system hierarchy or the doxygen group hierarchy, as in:

"examples/sys/xtimer/xtimer_periodic"

or

"examples/sys/timers/timer_periodic"

But maybe we can even live with one examples directory holding all examples, as that makes finding them very easy.

Looking at our doxygen, I'd propose to put examples into an "examples" subgroup for each group that actually has examples.

Do you think more condensed examples would be useful?

Do you have an opinion on how to structure them?

Kaspar

Hey Kaspar!

Thanks for initiative.

listening to incoming feedback about RIOT, it seems that while we get a lot of praise for our well-documented API, it seems that people are missing more high-level concept documentation and more to-the-point examples on how to do things in RIOT.

Agreed.

I propose to extend these with very simple, condensed example "applications", where each example just shows how to do a simple task, like "set up a periodic timer".

I think one reason against these applications for now was that all applications have to be updated once an API change happens (which has been the case in RIOT rather often). Since we're hoping to reaching a more stable API soon, this argument may have less weight now.   

Initially I thought about creating a directory structure that corresponds to either the file system hierarchy or the doxygen group hierarchy, as in:

or

But maybe we can even live with one examples directory holding all examples, as that makes finding them very easy.

I think I would also prefer a flat hierarchy and keep it simple.   

Looking at our doxygen, I'd propose to put examples into an "examples" subgroup for each group that actually has examples.

+100

(Is it the first time I hear a pro-documentation proposal from your side? ;-))   

What exactly do you mean by "condensed"?   

Not really, I was only wondering if we may limit build tests for these examples to native, to save load on the CI server.

Cheers, Oleg

Hey,

What exactly do you mean by "condensed"?

"condensed" in the sense that one example just shows one specific concept.

Not really, I was only wondering if we may limit build tests for these examples to native, to save load on the CI server.

Nah. More code coverage -> better results. And as of now, we have no examples anyways.

Kaspar

Hey,

Hey,

or

We already have a similar discussion in Issue#3363. I think a structured directory tree is equally easy but more unambigous. Having the same structure as the source tree is also some kind of basic documentation of dependencies.

Something like e.g. <$RIOTBASE/tests> with ~90 entities and individual pre/postfixing of names makes it not easy to find things or check if things are missing -at least for me-.

my 5 ct. Paul

Hey,

A flat hierarchy would be my preference, as well.

- Ralph

Hey,

Hey,

+1 for flat hierarchy with a good naming scheme. this makes it IMHO much more efficient when working on the command lineā€¦