RFC: development procedures

Dear reviewing IoTlers,

looking at https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/5758, I just realized that our convention to add squash commits while a PR is under review may need an amendment. If all commits that addresses a certain comment and are meant for squashing have a non-speaking commit message (see linked PR), then it gets more time-consuming for the reviewer to map a commit to a certain review-reaction. Hence, I would propose to somehow reference the addressed comment in the commit message. What do you think?

Cheers, Oleg

Hey,

Hi!

> Hence, I would propose to somehow reference the addressed > comment in the commit message. What do you think?

That would rule out --fixup commits (and thus automatic rebasing). "git commit --squash" allows adding to the commit message, but the commit subject stays the same, so in order to improve things, one would have to unfold the whole message in git's PR overview.

Actually, I've never found a big advantage in automatic rebasing. If you specify both, the addressed comment and the corresponding commit in the commit message, interactive rebasing can be done in no time.

A potential other solution would be to use something like Gerrit, but I guess no one here wants this. :wink:

Cheers, Oleg

Hi,

Hey,

Hi,

Hi,

> > Hence, I would propose to somehow reference the addressed > > comment in the commit message. What do you think? > > That would rule out --fixup commits (and thus automatic rebasing). "git > commit --squash" allows adding to the commit message, but the commit > subject stays the same, so in order to improve things, one would have to > unfold the whole message in git's PR overview >

Not necessarily. I would put such links to comments in the commit body anyway and that is ignored by --autosquash.

hm, that makes it rather inconvenient to review - particular with the "new" shitty GitHub UI.

> Actually, I've never found a big advantage in automatic rebasing. If you > specify both, the addressed comment and the corresponding commit in the > commit > message, interactive rebasing can be done in no time. >

Well you still have to read and compare every single commit, which --autosquash just takes a way. So you still need way more time. :wink:

Yes, it takes more time, but just a few seconds if the commit messages are sensible. I never use autosquashing.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi,

Not necessarily. I would put such links to comments in the commit body anyway and that is ignored by --autosquash.

Not necessarily what?

Rule out --fixup commits

Did you read my email? You cannot change the commit message of --fixup commits - it is always "!fixup <original commit message subject>" without body. You can add a body when using "--squash" (the subject will always be "!squash <original subject>", but that body would always get folded away by the github interface. If anyone would like to see a comment you've added to such a commit, you have to press the little "..." icon.

Kaspar

Hi Kaspar,

Hi Martine!