[RFC 6719] MRHOF - Objective Function for RPL

Dear Developers of RIOT OS,

I am a fourth-year student of Telecomunications at Warsaw University of Technology. I am amost finishing my studies and my Engineering Thesis is about routing in wireless sensor networks. Together with my supervisor, we decided to choose RIOT OS as our operating system for developing the Minimum Rank with Hysteresis Objective Function (RFC 6719) algorithm implementation.

After hours of studying RFC’s related to the topic I started reviewing google results about what is done already about this topic around the internet. Unfortunately I noticed this:

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/issues/2493

Of course this checklist is related to the previous implementation of RIOT OS and long before the gnrc network stack which is included in recent releases.

However, it sounds to me like there are couple issues which are not trivial in terms of MRHOF, ETX-metric and DAG Metrc Container implementation within RIOT OS.

Nevertheless, I would rather try my best and figure it out somehow, so ANY suggestions about those issues related to MRHOF or about people, who i can email to or simple information - if it’s possible AT ALL to accomplish that, would be like belated Christmas present and i would owe You a huge favor.

Finally, please forgive me all my impoliteness and lack of professionalism.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Your faithfully, Rafał Rzatkiewicz

Hi Rafał

Hi,

Dear Developers of RIOT OS,

I am a fourth-year student of Telecomunications at Warsaw University of Technology. I am amost finishing my studies and my Engineering Thesis is about routing in wireless sensor networks. Together with my supervisor, we decided to choose RIOT OS as our operating system for developing the Minimum Rank with Hysteresis Objective Function (RFC 6719) algorithm implementation.

After hours of studying RFC's related to the topic I started reviewing google results about what is done already about this topic around the internet. Unfortunately I noticed this:

RPL related issue list · Issue #2493 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub

Of course this checklist is related to the previous implementation of RIOT OS and long before the gnrc network stack which is included in recent releases.

However, it sounds to me like there are couple issues which are not trivial in terms of MRHOF, ETX-metric and DAG Metrc Container implementation within RIOT OS.

You could also thought about to use MLE [0] for provide ETX information. MLE solves the issue with frame counter sync in mac device table, if RIOT would have 802.15.4 security one day...

If you using MLE you don't need Metric Containers... simple provide some IPC to dump current neighbor information.

Also MLE MAY do periodic transmission of Messages, with that you will get better LQI average over a time...

I currently work on a POSIX compatible mle library, I can show you some of my work if you like... but there need much things to do that you can access lower OSI layers below UDP...

- Alex

[0] draft-ietf-6lo-mesh-link-establishment-00