Repository for Docker builds

Dear relentless RIOTers, I would like to introduce an official repository for keeping Dockerfiles used for building Docker images. The images can be used to build RIOT in conjunction with the work being proposed in 1. The images will contain supported versions of tool chains to make getting started with RIOT more convenient. I volunteer as maintainer for the Dockerfile repository and the pre-built images which will be published at the Docker hub 2. The reason for making a separate repository instead of using /dist/XXXXX is that we can more easily keep track of tool chain updates, and we can use the Docker hub automatic build feature to automatically update the images. Using the core RIOT code repo for Dockerfiles will cause an unnecessary amount of rebuilds when watching it with the automatic build feature of the Docker hub.

Best regards, Joakim

Hi,

fine with me, thank you for the initiative =)

Cheers, Ludwig

I'd like to hear if anyone is strongly opposed to this, otherwise I will go ahead and create a new repository tomorrow.

Best regards, Joakim Gebart www.eistec.se

Hi Joakim!

I'm completely fine with that. Thanks for the effort!

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Joakim,

+1 from my side!

Cheers, Hauke

What is a suitable name for the new repo? I have been using "riotbuild" for my Docker development at https://github.com/gebart/riotbuild

Also, I need to have an organisation owner (Oleg, Kaspar, Emmanuel or Matthias Wählisch) create the repo since maintainers do not have the proper access to do it.

Best regards, Joakim Gebart www.eistec.se

Hi Joakim!

What is a suitable name for the new repo? I have been using "riotbuild" for my Docker development at GitHub - jnohlgard/riotbuild: Dockerfiles for creating build environment for building RIOT projects.

I don't have any particular ideas for the name, so, for me "riotbuild" (or "riotdocker") would be fine.

Also, I need to have an organisation owner (Oleg, Kaspar, Emmanuel or Matthias Wählisch) create the repo since maintainers do not have the proper access to do it.

Sure, I can do so. Let's wait if no one objects against the proposed name.

Cheers, Oleg

riotdocker is more descriptive for the github repo name, I like it.

Best regards, Joakim

Hi,

+1 for riotdocker, riotbuild is confusing.

Cheers   matthias

Hi!

> Also, I need to have an organisation owner (Oleg, Kaspar, Emmanuel or > Matthias Wählisch) create the repo since maintainers do not have the proper > access to do it.

This somehow disappeared from my radar. I think you need to give me admin access to the repository in order to move it to the RIOT organization (and rename it to riotdocker).

Cheers, Oleg

Hi!

> Also, I need to have an organisation owner (Oleg, Kaspar, Emmanuel or > Matthias Wählisch) create the repo since maintainers do not have the proper > access to do it.

This somehow disappeared from my radar. I think you need to give me admin access to the repository in order to move it to the RIOT organization (and rename it to riotdocker).

What do you mean? If you create a new empty riotdocker repo in the RIOT organization we can push the Dockerfile commits to it.

Hi Joakim!

> This somehow disappeared from my radar. I think you need to give me admin > access to the repository in order to move it to the RIOT organization (and > rename it to riotdocker).

What do you mean? If you create a new empty riotdocker repo in the RIOT organization we can push the Dockerfile commits to it.

Yes, of course that's possible. I thought it might be easier to move the already existing repository to the RIOT-OS organization, but anyway here we go:

You should have write access.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Joakim,

I assume you "own" the RIOT organization on docker.com. Can you add the RIOT-OS/riotdocker?

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Joakim,

I assume you "own" the RIOT organization on docker.com. Can you add the RIOT-OS/riotdocker?

I have now added it under the name riot/riotbuild Docker (I figured the docker suffix on a Docker hub repo is kind of redundant)

It needs further configuration on the GitHub side by an administrator, follow the instructions on this page for the RIOT/riotdocker repository:

Oleg: Do you have a docker hub account? I can add you as an administrator to the riot organization.

The Dockerfile is building, but there seems to be some problem with the Debian mirrors at the moment, I'll retry later. https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/riot/riotbuild/builds_history/163750/

BR, Joakim

Hi Joakim!

I have now added it under the name riot/riotbuild Docker (I figured the docker suffix on a Docker hub repo is kind of redundant)

Great!

It needs further configuration on the GitHub side by an administrator, follow the instructions on this page for the RIOT/riotdocker repository: Set up Automated Builds | Docker Docs

Ok, I'll do that.

Oleg: Do you have a docker hub account? I can add you as an administrator to the riot organization.

Yes, I registered yesterday as "oleghahm" (Docker

Cheers, Oleg