Release [2022.04] - dates and feature requests

Dear releasing IoTers,

the release dates for the upcoming release cycle are fixed as follows:

• 28.03.2022 - soft feature freeze, for high impact features

• 08.04.2022 - hard feature freeze, for all features

• 27.04.2022 - Release date

Could you please send your suggestions for features which you would like to see merged during this release cycle.

Cheers Oleg

There’ll be the release of Rust 1.60 on 2022-04-07, a day after hard freeze. It would be kind of nice to get “works with stable Rust on all platforms” in for the April release, and all can be tested on beta already, but the final change that replaces ‘beta’ with ‘stable’ could only happen on the 7th, and would need to start in riotdocker and then propagate to the builders.

All changes on the RIOT and Rust code side are already in place, it’s more a matter of tooling. Is this something you’d consider shifting the hard freeze date (or consider the switch from beta to stable not a feature but a fix), or should I leave this for the next release (whose release manager, I’m told, is a big fan of Rust :wink: )?

Hey chrys,

On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 12:58:53PM +0000, chrysn via RIOT wrote:

All changes on the RIOT and Rust code side are already in place, it’s more a matter of tooling. Is this something you’d consider shifting the hard freeze date (or consider the switch from beta to stable not a feature but a fix), or should I leave this for the next release (whose release manager, I’m told, is a big fan of Rust :wink: )?

if I understand this correctly, it would be just a string substitution and shouldn’t affect any result, right?

In this case, I would argue that the cleanest solution would be to postpone the hard freeze by two days.

Cheers Oleg

panic(“kmem_cache_init(): Offsets are wrong - I’ve been messed with!”); linux-2.2.16/mm/slab.c

Well, the string substitution will pull in a different build of the compiler. But the whole point of the beta is to be (or, in the weeks until it is release, become) no different than the released stable version, so I expect the effect to be that of a string substitution.

For the mailing list readers:

on request by chrysn I postponed the hard feature freeze by two days to April 8.

Cheers Oleg

/* This card is fucking hot… */ linux-2.6.6/drivers/net/sunhme.c