Ref. Starting with RiOT

Hi all,

My name is Mauricio and I am new on the maillist. I found RIOT-OS on the freenode server and I came here to know more about it.

You have done an amazing job so far.

I read most of the website looking for where to start. I think this it is on

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/Tutorials

I was able to download the tutorials and the vagrant file but I do not understand what to do next. I presume the VM has everything to get started or to compile a project without having to deal with paths, different toolchains, versions, etc. But again I am new and perhaps I am mistaken

My system is a linux debian and I have virtualbox properly installed with the extension pack.

I ran the VM and it prompts for an user and password, but I couldn't found anywhere in the documentation which user and password is.

So my questions are.

a. Is the vm then going to be a method of having all the working environment up and running just not to deal with annoying setups when one is a newbie and many things can fail? b. Which is the user and password?

Thanks in advance!

ou have done an amazing job so far.

Hello Mauricio!

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to RIOT (:

Hi all,

My name is Mauricio and I am new on the maillist. I found RIOT-OS on the freenode server and I came here to know more about it.

GitHub - RIOT-OS/Tutorials

I was able to download the tutorials and the vagrant file but I do not understand what to do next. I presume the VM has everything to get started or to compile a project without having to deal with paths, different toolchains, versions, etc. But again I am new and perhaps I am mistaken

My system is a linux debian and I have virtualbox properly installed with the extension pack.

I ran the VM and it prompts for an user and password, but I couldn't found anywhere in the documentation which user and password is.

So my questions are.

a. Is the vm then going to be a method of having all the working environment up and running just not to deal with annoying setups when one is a newbie and many things can fail? b. Which is the user and password?

In general, using the VM directly from the Virtualbox GUI is not the preferred way. Here [1] you can find a short How-To on the usage of vagrant. You can start the VM by executing `vagrant up` in your console and `vagrant ssh` brings you into the guest machine. You must change into the RIOT directory before you can execute those commands.

[1] RIOT/dist/tools/vagrant at master · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub

Best, Cenk

Hello Mauricio!

Thank you for your feedback and welcome to RIOT (:

Hi all,

GitHub - RIOT-OS/Tutorials

So my questions are.

In general, using the VM directly from the Virtualbox GUI is not the preferred way. Here [1] you can find a short How-To on the usage of vagrant. You can start the VM by executing `vagrant up` in your console and `vagrant ssh` brings you into the guest machine. You must change into the RIOT directory before you can execute those commands.

[1] RIOT/dist/tools/vagrant at master · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub

Best, Cenk

Thanks Cenk! vagrant ssh did the job. I didn't read that link before and it was very clarifying.

Mauricio