Questions with the ARM Complier

Hello!

I have a problem when executing make BOARD=stm32f4discovery in the directory: $(RIOT)/examples/hello-world/. The output is like this:

C58655CC@0740EF02.2206E353.jpg

I use the cross complier “gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q2” and set the $PATH correctly. Something seems wrong because some of the exectuable files are vacuum, like this 39E548C2@0740EF02.2206E353.jpg

Then execute arm-none-eabi-gcc -v,there is no response,like this. 355AD3F1@0740EF02.2206E353.jpg

How can I solve this problem and let the system work? T_T Thanks for your reading!

Dongyu from Zhejiang, China

Hi Dongyu,

the empty entries should be links to corresponding files in other directories. For example /opt/arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q2/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc should be a link to /opt/arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q2/arm-none-eabi/bin/gcc

I suggest that something went wrong during decompression of the gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_8-2014q2-20140609-linux.tar.bz2 archive to /opt/.

You could try to decompress the archive somewhere in your home directory, and check if you can run the arm-none-eabi-gcc -v from there.

Best regards, Martin

I think your PATH does not include the directory where arm gcc lives or your extraction process went wrong.

To check the PATH go in a random directory (e.g. your home or RIOT folder) and enter

arm-none-eabi-gcc -v

On my machine this shows:

$ arm-none-eabi-gcc -v Using built-in specs. COLLECT_GCC=/usr/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.8.1/lto-wrapper Target: arm-none-eabi Configured with: ../gcc-4.8-2013.11/configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --libdir=/usr/lib64 --with-pkgversion='Fedora 2013.11.24-2.fc20' --with-bugurl=https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ --enable-lto --infodir=/usr/share/info --target=arm-none-eabi --enable-interwork --enable-multilib --with-newlib --enable-languages=c,c++ --disable-nls --disable-shared --disable-threads --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld --with-gmp --with-mpfr --with-mpc --with-newlib --with-headers=/usr/arm-none-eabi/include --with-system-zlib Thread model: single gcc version 4.8.1 (Fedora 2013.11.24-2.fc20)

The right tar file is available via this page:

https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Family:-ARM

For the Cortex CPUs we recommend the Linaro package, for ARM7 the Codebench.

Let us know what the solution is!

Best Christian