Proposal: Use Gitter to allow users and developers easier and simpler chat functionality

I am a relatively new user to Riot OS. I understand that this type of proposal from a new user may be frowned upon or unwarranted. So I understand if this idea gets shot down and closed. However, I would like to see if there is any interest in using Gitter rather than freednode and the mailing lists (or maybe the mailing lists stay in parallel) for developers and users to chat.

I have worked with other open source projects (ardupilot for one) that use Gitter for real-time interactions between developers and with users. The interface is clean and easy to use, integrates with GitHub nicely, and has infinite message persistence.

Does anyone else think this would be a big improvement in helping the community grow?

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to RIOT and thanks for your suggestions.

I am a relatively new user to Riot OS. I understand that this type of proposal from a new user may be frowned upon or unwarranted. So I understand if this idea gets shot down and closed. However, I would like to see if there is any interest in using Gitter rather than freednode and the mailing lists (or maybe the mailing lists stay in parallel) for developers and users to chat.

I would certainly not drop any of our current communication channels because they have proven to work well and are based on established open standard communication protocols.

I have worked with other open source projects (ardupilot for one) that use Gitter for real-time interactions between developers and with users. The interface is clean and easy to use, integrates with GitHub nicely, and has infinite message persistence.

I've never heard of Gitter before. What kind of protocol does it use? Which client exist? Can you provide at least a pointer to it?

Does anyone else think this would be a big improvement in helping the community grow?

As I have never heard of this tool before, I have my doubts, but I know that I'm not always up-to-date when it comes to these type of tools. For me E-Mail is still the best communication channel in 90% of all cases.

Cheers, Oleg

P.S. If you want to follow the discussion, you probably want to subscribe to the mailing list.

Hi

Oleg,

Here is an example https://gitter.im/Microsoft/vscode

As per the protocol, I can’t say I know much about their implementations and protocols.

I may be on the other side, since I have never had experience with using mailing lists for projects I work on. (again, I don’t want to disturb something that works)

Kaspar,

I didn’t consider the metadata implications, but I understand if that is a non-starter.

For me I always felt application like Gitter lower the barrier to entry for new users and I’m always a lot more hesitant with emails. This could just be me though.

Thanks for at least considering it!

Hi Anthony!

Hi Oleg,

Oleg,

I am very unfamiliar with IRC and these other chat protocols. The only thing I found is here: https://irc.gitter.im/

I don’t think there is any other non-Web, non-GUI version.

May I ask, how do the developers/users communicate currently? Is it primarily through this developers mailing list? Or is it primarily on freednode?

I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to help!

Best, Anthony

Hi Anthony!

I am very unfamiliar with IRC and these other chat protocols. The only thing I found is here: https://irc.gitter.im/

Okay, sweet, so there is at least an IRC-Gateway. Makes it much more convenient for me.

May I ask, how do the developers/users communicate currently? Is it primarily through this developers mailing list? Or is it primarily on freednode?

I think it depends. Probably the biggest chunk of communication is happening on Github, followed by the mailing list. A fraction of developers, users and other people interested in RIOT are also frequently using IRC.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi,

I am a relatively new user to Riot OS. I understand that this type of proposal from a new user may be frowned upon or unwarranted. So I understand if this idea gets shot down and closed. However, I would like to see if there is any interest in using Gitter rather than freednode and the mailing lists (or maybe the mailing lists stay in parallel) for developers and users to chat. I have worked with other open source projects (ardupilot for one) that use Gitter for real-time interactions between developers and with users. The interface is clean and easy to use, integrates with GitHub nicely, and has infinite message persistence.

It sounds interesting, there are still some obscurities.

What is the definition of this real-time, is it hard real time or very hard real-time? Because only the very hard real-time gives the most fixed connection between the user and developer.

Also how infinite is this infinite persistence?

Sure, I fill it already, it is most funny mail what I have read here. Also this mailing list has a (not infinite) persistence.