PlaceCam on Linux with echo-cancellation

Hi,

I just figured out how to enable echo cancellation for PlaceCam in Linux with PulseAudio. It is possible to PulseAudio configuration hints using environment variables. When using the command line, you can tell it to activate echo-cancellation like this:

PULSE_PROP="filter.want=echo-cancel" ./PlaceCam/opt/PlaceCam/PlaceCam

Oleg and me tested this and were surprised how well it works. I hereby encourage anyone using Linux to adopt this method so the audio in our virtual meetings will be less painful.

Cheers, Ludwig

PS: Open Research Topic: Find out how to automatically or at least super-conveniently (I'm thinking push-to-talk) mute the microphone when not speaking.

Hi!

PS: Open Research Topic: Find out how to automatically or at least super-conveniently (I'm thinking push-to-talk) mute the microphone when not speaking.

Well, you can mute yourself, whenever you're not speaking, so it would be something like click-to-talk.

I would like to add a research topic though: Figure out how to save/restore audio settings per application instead of per PID - or at least set the Mic settings to a more sensible default value.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi,

Hi,

I got a hint from daviko, that they will include this option in their next Linux release!

Cheers, Hauke