PIC programmer with Linux support?

Hey fellow RIOTers,

I'm looking for a readily available PIC programmer with Linux support.

Main requirements are:

- can flash the boards that RIOT supports - has a CLI application that runs on Linux (both x86 and ARM/RasPi) (- not too expensive)

Any suggestions?

Kaspar

Is this for pic32 HIL tests? Do the pic32 boards support jtag like the cortex boards? In that case you could maybe use one of the ftdi ft2232 based jtag programmers out there.

/Joakim

Hi Joakim!

Is this for pic32 HIL tests? Do the pic32 boards support jtag like the cortex boards? In that case you could maybe use one of the ftdi ft2232 based jtag programmers out there.

Unfortunately that’s not the case. They have a kind of serial programming interface which is not super standard. However there are several tools out there which might be useful here.

I’m thinking about pickit2 clones and compatible firmware which might be the solution in this case.

I’ll let you know whenever I have a more concrete solution.

Cheers,

Paco.

Hi,

if its still needed and if it helps: I have a PICkit3 (my property) at my office that I don’t really need and am willing to donate to the cause. I needed it years ago for a private project that I gave away (and was able to confirm that it is still running after all those years during my vacation ^^) and I’m not really involved into MIPS development, so I really don’t need it.

Cheers, Martine

Hi,

I submitted a PR to do it for pic32-wifire using a PICkit3: I only needed to use a windows VM (that you can get from microsoft for free) to update the PICkit3 firmware.

I manage to run tests with it.

However for running on CI, flashing is quite slow, so may be a problem or would need a specific tag to say run on pic32.

Regards, Gaëtan