Need some feedback from IoT-industry experts

Hey,

yes that was the best title I came up with :smiley: This eMail does not directly have something to do with RIOT, but I need some help from you, people. :slight_smile: I work for the IOTA foundation and we also create open source software. We have a lot of internal discussions about some decisions which are made. From my point of view some people have wrong assumptions about the IoT-industry. There are also a lot of misconceptions about what IoT actually means. (Some people think RPis are this “IoT”) I just want to know if some people are willing to talk to me about this. Just a couple of questions about the assumptions and what you think about it. I am working now for 2 years on embedded stuff, so I think I have a good understanding about this topic, but maybe I am completely wrong. So, let’s find out :slight_smile:

best regards

Philipp

Hey Philipp,

I work for the IOTA foundation and we also create open source software. We have a lot of internal discussions about some decisions which are made. From my point of view some people have wrong assumptions about the IoT-industry. There are also a lot of misconceptions about what IoT actually means. (Some people think RPis are this "IoT") I just want to know if some people are willing to talk to me about this. Just a couple of questions about the assumptions and what you think about it. I am working now for 2 years on embedded stuff, so I think I have a good understanding about this topic, but maybe I am completely wrong. So, let's find out :slight_smile:

I think this could result in an interesting discussion, we could either have here on the mailing list or set up some conference call. If you could send me your questions beforehand (unicast if you like), I could also try to gather some concrete feedback from my colleagues working on IoT projects at Zühlke - which certainly have a different view on IoT than me and most of the RIOT developers have.

Cheers Oleg

It will be interesting if you have this discussion in the list.

+1 for having (any public-compatible parts of) this conversation on the list.

Part of the answer concerning “RasPi-based IoT” misconceptions:

It is not a problem per se to consider RasPi type of hardware as IoT. Microprocessors + wifi + Linux do have use cases :wink:

Nevertheless, if much lower energy consumption (mW or less) is targeted, and potentially, also a lower price tag,

a definitely better solution is small micro-controllers + low-power radios. (hence what we are doing here).

Cheers,

Emmanuel

I thought about some questions which cover some topics. Don’t see it as fixed survey. ^^ But feel free to send me an email with the answers. :stuck_out_tongue: Improvements are welcome :slight_smile: If you want to talk about these topics, I am happy to do so. Just send me an email :slight_smile:

What do you consider as real-time? (In milliseconds response time)

Would you use a cryptocurrency when you Microcontroller needs 8 seconds for one transaction?

(Verifiable claims, value transaction, verification of data)

Are you fine with using a non-standard crypto function in order to use this ?

Would you use a chip for a non-standard crypto function in order to use this cryptocurrency?

How much would you pay for this crypto chip? (in USD, per chip)

Would you use this chip when the only manufacturer is a small startup?

Do you think ternary is the next step to improve efficiency in the IoT? (yes/no)

If you said no: why? (optional)

Do you think IoT already exists? (yes/no)

Do you think IoT standards are already defined or in progress of getting defined? (yes/no)

More details (Optional):

Do you think these standards can also be used on legacy hardware? (yes/no)

What means legacy hardware for you?

Do you think current IoT hardware will be completely replaced within the next 5 years? (yes/no)

In what time-frame does the hardware for new standards needs to be available in order to get adopted by the IoT industry? (within the next x years)

What is IoT for you?

• (IPv4/IPv6) standards on Microcontroller

• Connecting Microcontrollers in some way to the Internet. (e.g. by using a Gateway. The communication standard is not important)

best regards

Philipp

Hi Philipp

There are some resources:

https://docs.iota.org/docs/iota-basics/0.1/concepts/trinary?q=trinary&highlights=trinari

https://blog.iota.org/iota-and-cybercrypt-announce-new-lightweight-trinary-cryptographic-hash-function-678e741315e8

There is also this company called Jinn. They design some kind of chip. The short answer is: With the chip the computation should be faster.

We designed a custom crypto hash function to be used on this ternary chip:

https://blog.iota.org/iota-and-cybercrypt-announce-new-lightweight-trinary-cryptographic-hash-function-678e741315e8

There are some conflicts regarding this topic from non IoT industry users. So, I want to know what people in the IoT industry think about this.

best regards

Philipp

Are you fine with using a non-standard crypto function in order to use this ?

Would you use a chip for a non-standard crypto function in order to use this cryptocurrency?

Would you use this chip when the only manufacturer is a small startup?

I am not from industry, but I strongly suspect the above aspects would raise eyebrows.

Emmanuel