Naming of source files

Dear rioters,

we've just come across a problem resulting from the recent change to consolidate all binaries in one folder: if the project contains a file with a name that already exists somewhere within in RIOT, the build system will at some point create a second object file with the same name, overwriting the first one.

Even worse, this problem already exists within RIOT: for example, there exist two files called uart0.c (one in sys/uart0, the other in boards/wsn430-common). This emerged probably during the consolidation of the boards repository.

As I've stated already in the accompanying PR[1], I see two solutions: 1.) enforce naming conventions for files, so that all files are prefixed with their module name (this could still lead to cases like the one Ludwig has depicted, but are much more unlikely). 2.) revert the change to have all binaries in one folder, but having instead something like $(RIOTBASE)/bin/$(CPU)/ $(PROJDIR)/bin/$(BOARD)/ Where the first directory contains all RIOT binaries and the second only project specific binaries. While this solution also helps to reduce redundant compilings, it still call for a consistent naming scheme - but only within RIOT itself which is much more manageable.

However, I'd vote for the first solution for now, because it's simpler.

Anyone with a better solution?

Cheers, Oleg

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/494

we've just come across a problem resulting from the recent change to consolidate all binaries in one folder: if the project contains a file with a name that already exists somewhere within in RIOT, the build system will at some point create a second object file with the same name, overwriting the first one.

Hi,

have you tried CMake? It works very well with modularization and optional modules. It automatically creates subfolders in a dedicated build folder so no file name collisions should occur.

2.) revert the change to have all binaries in one folder, but having instead something like $(RIOTBASE)/bin/$(CPU)/ $(PROJDIR)/bin/$(BOARD)/

CMake would create files like build/CMakeFiles/RIOT.dir/cpu.dir/arm_common.dir/arm_cpu.o.

Greetings, René

Hej everyone,

interesting this comes up now, I actually have thought about this problem in December and was then surprised, that no problems with naming conflicts had occurred by then. I would like to suggest a third solution: 3.) encode a source files path into the object files name for example: core/thread.c --> BINDIR/core_thread.o sys/uart0/uart0.c --> BINDIR/sys_uart0_uart0.o PRJDIR/xy/aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/project_xy_aa_abc.o

This way, no conventions for naming files would be needed anywhere, while naming space collitions should be impossible. And the solution would only affect some Makefiles, so the ‘User’-developer would not even need to know much about it. What do you think?

Cheers, Hauke

I like the idea, it improves upon my idea over at the PR :wink:

Cheers, Ludwig

Hi,

PRJDIR/xy/aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/project_xy_aa_abc.o

This way, no conventions for naming files would be needed anywhere, while naming space collitions should be impossible. And the solution would only affect some Makefiles, so the 'User'-developer would not even need to know much about it. What do you think?

Why again don't we just use the original folder names?

PRJDIR/xy/aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/xy/aa/abc.o

That way name collisions are impossible.

Encoding the folder name could lead to

PRJDIR/xy/aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/xy_aa_abc.o PRJDIR/xy_aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/xy_aa_abc.o BOOM!

Sounds ridiculous? Yeah, but imagine debugging that...

Kaspar

Hi,

PRJDIR/xy/aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/project_xy_aa_abc.o

This way, no conventions for naming files would be needed anywhere, while naming space collitions should be impossible. And the solution would only affect some Makefiles, so the 'User'-developer would not even need to know much about it. What do you think?

Why again don't we just use the original folder names?

That way name collisions are impossible.

Encoding the folder name could lead to

PRJDIR/xy/aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/xy_aa_abc.o PRJDIR/xy_aa/abc.c --> BINDIR/xy_aa_abc.o BOOM!

Sounds ridiculous? Yeah, but imagine debugging that...

Japp, haven't thought about this (maybe not soo probable) case -> you win :slight_smile:

The drawback I see with keeping the original folder structure in the BINDIR is, that the folder names are getting even longer. Could this lead to problems on host platforms (-->WIN)?

Hi,

Hi,

The drawback I see with keeping the original folder structure in the BINDIR is, that the folder names are getting even longer. Could this lead to problems on host platforms (-->WIN)?

Isn't the full pathname incuding filename limited (vs. pathname without filename)?

Linux has another problem with it's makefiles. They put hundreds of filenames incl. path in the command line of some tools needed for compilation. Depending on base path length, that brakes. There are patches that use xargs to solve the problem but make compilation slower, so they are not in mainline.

I say, let future RIOT developers deal with that problem. Quote me.

Kaspar

Hi,

Hi,

Isn't the full pathname incuding filename limited (vs. pathname without filename)?

Linux has another problem with it's makefiles. They put hundreds of filenames incl. path in the command line of some tools needed for compilation. Depending on base path length, that brakes. There are patches that use xargs to solve the problem but make compilation slower, so they are not in mainline.

Ok, when we think this through, we have 3 command-line calls, that will use the affected path-to-object-file (call it OBJ for now) and archieve files (call it AF): 1. compiler: gcc ... -o OBJ ... 2. combine: ar ... OBJ1 OBJ2 OBJn 3. linker: gcc ... AF1 AF2 OBJx

For the 1. case, the filename/path length shouldn't matter, since only one object file is used in that command (in this case a growing number of include folders is probably more significant...). For the 2. case the length of the object-file path length could make a difference, but as archives only contain a limited number of them (otherwise we should re-think the size of the archives), we can probably live with it For the 3. case: same as number 2, I for the current size of RIOT it should be fine.

I say, let future RIOT developers deal with that problem. Quote me.

So by quoting Kaspar: "[...] let future RIOT developers deal with that problem", I'd like to vote for Ludwigs proposal to duplicate the RIOT hierarchy into the BINDIR.

Hi!

I've updated the corresponding PR [1] according to the result of our discussion during the meeting yesterday.

The agreement was to go for the simplest solution for now (and the upcoming release) and implement something more sophisticated later. For now, we'll just make sure that there are no duplicate filenames for C-Files in RIOT (except when their paths are mutual exclusive, like boards/foo/driver.c and boards/bar/driver.c) and put the object files for the project in a separate folder.

Cheers, Oleg

[1] https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/494