Minimize code size for spark core

When i add the upd module to my RIOT application, the size of the code raises up to 114 kB. I compile it for the spark core which have a 128 kB flash memory. But the firmware for the spark already uses 20 KB, so the code size is to big.

I’ve seen when i add the upd module to the hello world example and compile it for the spark, the code size raises up to 100 kB. Is there a way to minimize the code size and use the upd module?

I also recognized that some drivers like the uart drivers use floating point operations, which is horrible for the code size because the ARM Cortex M3 processor of the spark haven’t a floating point unit so the operations must be simulated by software. Does exist a fix for that in newer versions?

Greetings,

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

I've seen when i add the upd module to the hello world example and compile it for the spark, the code size raises up to 100 kB. Is there a way to minimize the code size and use the upd module?

for clarification did you try with gnrc_udp on (more or less) current master?

I also recognized that some drivers like the uart drivers use floating point operations, which is horrible for the code size because the ARM Cortex M3 processor of the spark haven't a floating point unit so the operations must be simulated by software. Does exist a fix for that in newer versions?

Very valid point. Just talked to Hauke and there should be fix for that. Stay tuned.

Cheers, Oleg

Hej Andreas,

sorry for the late reply.

I am wondering how your code-size did explode this much - when I build the examples/gnrc_networking example for the spark core, I end up with ~60K of used ROM (and this includes RPL). Although this does not include any radio driver, it should leave plenty of memory for a driver and some application code… Are you using the CC3000 as network interface? And which driver are you using it with? You are completely right, these were some leftovers from our first porting attempts to this CPUs… I created fixes for these issues PRs #3893 to # 3897 [1]. Cheers, Hauke [1]