Help with Simulation

Hello everybody,

I am very new to RIOT, I would like to know whether it is possible to simulate RIOT using Castalia or any other simulator that can provide visualization unlike the TOSSIM of TinyOS. Also I would like to know whether RIOT is better than TinyOS for a beginner.

Hi Ashiq,

thanks for your email and sorry for the delay in answering. We are working hard on the new release of RIOT, expected this week.

For beginners, I’d say that one of the main advantage of RIOT over TinyOS is that you don’t have to learn a new programming language. In RIOT you can code in C as you are used to, whereas with TinyOS you need to learn a new language. The learning curve is thus decreased.

For the moment, there is no visualization tool for simulation provided with RIOT. However, a plan we have is to integrate RIOT within ns-3 soon, which seems technically feasible without too many difficulties. But work on ns-3 integration has not started yet.

You are however able to test RIOT right away on your desktop/laptop with the RIOT native port: it runs as-is on Linux, BSD, and MacOS. You’re even be able to interconnect several instances of RIOT running on your machine via a simple ethernet link emulator provided with the upcoming release (you’ll be informed of its availability via email on this mailing list). This is indeed useful for testing and debugging your code developed on RIOT.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have further questions and how we could help you.

Best,

Emmanuel

Hello Emmanuel,

Thanks for your info, awaiting your new release of RIOT.