[Gsoc2015]Regarding Dynamic linking support for RIOT

Recently , the project for dynamic linking support for RIOT got removed from the ideas page , however after discussion with Oleg Hahm (OlegH) on IRC, I came to know that the idea wasn’t a top priority because it was felt that dynamic linking/loading will not be the best way to enable software updates at runtime. I am still very much interested and excited to work on the project :slight_smile:

So I have the following points I wanted to ask :

1. What else can be the other way to enable software update at run-time ( maybe that could be added to the idea’s page or be done along with the dynamic linking support project)

2. Whom should I contact for technical discussions.

3. What are the chances of proposal for this idea getting accepted

Thanks for your help Kushal Singh (kushalsingh007)

Dear Kushal!

1. What else can be the other way to enable software update at run-time ( maybe that could be added to the idea's page or be done along with the dynamic linking support project)

That's exactly the problem: the task force for OTA updates has only recently be formed and yet not decided for a concrete concept. Hence, although there are some sketchy ideas floating around, it's not yet decided which one will be the one we want to go with.

2. Whom should I contact for technical discussions.

The devel mailing list is - along with Github - exactly the place to discuss technical details. Of course, in case of acceptance as a GSOC project, you will have one or more mentors who will guide and help you as much as possible to avoid pitfalls, but for any basic discussion it's always a good idea to discuss with the whole community.

3. What are the chances of proposal for this idea getting accepted

After some internal discussion, we came to the conclusion that you can still apply to the dynamic linking topic if you're really eager to do it and none of the other topics sounds interesting enough to you.

Cheers, Oleg