[GSOC] Introduction

Hello,

I’m a 3rd year student at Politehnica University of Bucharest , Romania.

I have former experience with communication protocols and worked on a few college projects involving DNS Resolver and File Sharing protocols for Linux among others.Currently I am also attending an Operating Systems course aimed at teaching low level programming which will undoubtedly be of great help.I would like to apply for GSOC for the “Implementation of LwM2M” project.

If possible I would like to discuss with the mentor for this project on how to approach it.

Thank you, Alexandru Razvan Caciulescu

I am also interested in lwm2m support in RIOT, professionally. I have colleagues working on an lwm2m implementation for Contiki which can be useful for testing interoperability. I can help with the review and testing of the gsoc implementation, as well as technical discussions.

Best regards, Joakim

Hello Alexandru,

welcome to RIOT and thanks for your interest in lwm2m.

We do not have the final assignment of mentors to projects yet, as we will assign the mentors once we know which projects are gonna be worked on to archive the best possible fit.

For discussing your approach, the best thing would be to do it on this mailing list. This way you profit from help by everyone interested in the community - and this is how we discuss our technical problems and ideas anyhow.

To approach the project, I would suggest you do the following:

1. get the lwm2m specifications from the oma website [1]
  2. read them and try to understand the rough design (third party sources can help a lot here…)
  3. try to sketch out an implementation architecture by naming the main modules and interfaces
  4. discuss this architecture here at the mailing list

When the rough architecture of the implementation becomes clear, it should be easy to derive some milestones and a project plan from it.

Let me know if you have questions and looking forward to discuss the project further with you!

Cheers, Hauke

[1]

Hi Alexandru, I suppose you have also looked at the archive of this mailing list, in particular to what regards GSOC application process for RIOT: http://lists.riot-os.org/pipermail/devel/2015-March/002113.html best, Emmanuel

Hi Emmanuel and Hauke,

Yes I read the material and submitted a first patch #2547 Regarding the approach Hauke suggested for the project : tomorrow I will be participating to a 24 hour Hackathon so I will be “radio-silent” until Sunday.My question is if on Sunday there is any chance to catch anyone from RIOT on the IRC channel since so far it’s been empty ? I will discuss the main approach on the mailing list but I think it would be more productive if I can have a live chat with someone to ask for guidelines every now and then.

Thank you, Alexandru

Hi Alexandru!

My question is if on Sunday there is any chance to catch anyone from RIOT on the IRC channel since so far it's been empty ?

Are you sure you were on the right server and channel (#riot-os on Freenode)? Usually there are always between 20 and 30 people in the channel (while of course not always active).

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Oliver,

It seems i was connecting to different riot-os channel.

Thanks for the heads up! Alex