Gnrc Router Solicitation Messages (Thomas C. Schmidt)

Hi,

why would you want to change the router solicitation interval (RTR_SOLICITATION_INTERVAL) outside the scope foreseen by the RFC?

It’s not really that i wan’t to change the interval. The thing is my node goes into deep sleep and to be battery efficient I need Router Solicitation Messages to go out as soon as it wakes up, which is not happening with gnrc default set-up. That’s why I was asking how I can trigger one in the cleanest way. Cheers,

Francisco

Hi Francisco,

It's not really that i wan't to change the interval. The thing is my node goes into deep sleep and to be battery efficient I need Router Solicitation Messages to go out as soon as it wakes up, which is not happening with gnrc default set-up. That's why I was asking how I can trigger one in the cleanest way. Cheers,

Actually, you shouldn't need to trigger a RS explicitly. This should happen automatically within RIOT, i.e., send an RS whenever a link gets ready, which also applies to wake up from sleep. Hence, (IMHO) this needs to be fixed in the network stack.

@miri64 might know the right place? Anyhow, if not already done: please open an issue addressing and describing this issue, so we have it officially and trackable.

Best,   Sebastian

Hiho,

to be more explicit: a Router Solicitation Messages should be sent out immediately after a link comes up. This usually happens by link triggers from the interface.

Best,   Thomas