Etherpad for meeting tomorrow

Hey guys, I opened an Etherpad to collect topics for the meeting tomorrow: http://pad.spline.de/riot-post-2014-05-meeting. Feel free to contribute.

Cheers, Martine

I put in my quick notes.

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.armdevs.com/WiFiG25%20Module.html

Hi David,

apparently nobody tried.

However I guess it does not fit the RIOT criteria as it is capable of running Linux. Also, there is currently no ARM9 support in RIOT.

Cheers, Ludwig

There are people working on an A9 port for RIOT. So, to be less strict than Ludwig: I would rather say that since this module could run Linux, it is not our top priority. However, some think RIOT should support Wifi in the midterm. So I guess we are open for proposals in that direction. Cheers Emmanuel

Fair enough.

Well I'm not yet encountering a shortage of processor boards in my storage-shelves or order-list so I don't have a problem yet. :slight_smile: This suites me just fine.

Regards

David

Hello,

On the main website, there's a link to : https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/cpu/native/README

The location of that file is no longer there.

I think the new file is : https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/cpu/native/README.md

Regards

David

Hello,

I was looking to install Riot on my Linux machine.

I visited this page: > https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/blob/master/cpu/native/README.md

If this is the correct page to run Riot under Linux, then it didn't seem that helpful.

I'd normally expect to see something like "How to build Riot programs under Linux" or "Riot Emulator for Linux" or something like that.

I'm not complaining - just reporting a new-user experience - and I might be looking in the wrong place.

Regards

David

Hello David,

You might want to try the following link: https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Creating-your-first-RIOT-project

Does this help?

Regards, Cenk

Perfect - Thanks.

Hi Daniel,

Hello David, You might want to try the following link: Creating your first RIOT project · RIOT-OS/RIOT Wiki · GitHub Does this help?

Perfect - Thanks.

Just a small remark-- if there's anything that's unclear or wrong, please feel free to edit the wiki page or contact me. RIOT has been subject to a lot of changes since this guide was created, so it may be outdated (or just badly written :wink: )

Cheers, Lotte

Hi David,

I'm not complaining, I think what is there is well written.

However, I wasn't able to run the first example because I don't have tapi installed and furthermore would probably need to spend another hour learning how to do that.

As cool as tapi might be, it's not part of the standard ubuntu distro that I have. Better off with sockets/udp than tapi imho.

The things that I'm looking to do are the basics, press buttons, run tasks, send some data around a network and see lights and motors and things be controlled.

I just found an MSP430 Launchpad that I think matches Riot requirements. It has two buttons on the bottom. I'd like to press those and then have it send commands to the network (ok, just to the serial port).

I'm just mentioning these things to help suggest where normal users might be. Overall, I can see that Riot has a lot of potential.

Regards

David

Hi David,

Just a small remark-- if there's anything that's unclear or wrong, please feel free to edit the wiki page or contact me. RIOT has been subject to a lot of changes since this guide was created, so it may be outdated (or just badly written :wink: )

I'm not complaining, I think what is there is well written.

However, I wasn't able to run the first example because I don't have tapi installed and furthermore would probably need to spend another hour learning how to do that.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure I can follow. Are you referring to an error along the lines of "brctl not found" when executing tapsetup.sh?

Cheers, Lotte

Yes.

Here's a complete transcript of my session:

dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ brctl The program 'brctl' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing: sudo apt-get install bridge-utils dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ sudo apt-get install bridge-utils [sudo] password for dlyon: Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following NEW packages will be installed:    bridge-utils 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded. Need to get 32.4 kB of archives. After this operation, 145 kB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ saucy/main bridge-utils i386 1.5-6ubuntu1 [32.4 kB] Fetched 32.4 kB in 3s (8,913 B/s) Selecting previously unselected package bridge-utils. (Reading database ... 301387 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking bridge-utils (from .../bridge-utils_1.5-6ubuntu1_i386.deb) ... Processing triggers for man-db ... Setting up bridge-utils (1.5-6ubuntu1) ... dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ../../cpu/native/tapsetup.sh create creating tapbr0 ... creating tap0 ... creating tap1 ... dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ bin/native/default.elf tapiRIOT native uart0 initialized. RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized. bin/native/default.elf: ioctl TUNSETIFF: Operation not permitted bin/native/default.elf: probably the tap interface (tapi) does not exist or is already in use dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$

Hi David,

The native wiki page has installation instructions for several systems:

Copy&paste instructions for bootstrapping your ubuntu are missing, but I assume it saves you 55 minutes :wink:

Like Lotte, I am guessing you are just missing the "bridge-utils" package, whatever it's name in ubuntu/debian is.

Cheers, Ludwig

Hi David,

dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ../../cpu/native/tapsetup.sh create creating tapbr0 ... creating tap0 ... creating tap1 ...

OK, everything fine so far.

dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ bin/native/default.elf tapiRIOT native uart0 initialized. RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized. bin/native/default.elf: ioctl TUNSETIFF: Operation not permitted bin/native/default.elf: probably the tap interface (tapi) does not exist or is already in use dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$

It seems you set PORT to "tapi" in your environment. Try: PORT=tap0 make term and PORT=tap1 make term in two terminals.

Cheers, Ludwig

Hi Ludwig,

It seems you set PORT to "tapi" in your environment. Try: PORT=tap0 make term and PORT=tap1 make term in two terminals.

Thanks.

That definitely worked. :slight_smile: and I can see the potential.

I'd suggest changing the documentation to point to the correct executable 'default.elf' not 'my_project.elf'

"You can now run your project by executing

./bin/native/my_project.elf tap0"

If I do that:

dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ./bin/native/my_project.elf tap0 bash: ./bin/native/my_project.elf: No such file or directory dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ls bin native dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ls bin/native auto_init default native_base ps shell_commands uart0 auto_init.a default.a native_base.a ps.a shell_commands.a uart0.a config default.elf nativenet random sys vtimer config.a default.map nativenet.a random.a sys.a vtimer.a core lib net_help rtc timex core.a lib.a net_help.a rtc.a timex.a cpu ltc4150 posix shell transceiver cpu.a ltc4150.a posix.a shell.a transceiver.a dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ls bin/native/default.efl tap0ls: cannot access bin/native/default.efl: No such file or directory ls: cannot access tap0: No such file or directory dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ls bin/native/default.elf tap0 ls: cannot access tap0: No such file or directory bin/native/default.elf dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ./bin/native/my_project.elf tap0 bash: ./bin/native/my_project.elf: No such file or directory dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ./bin/native/default.elf tap0RIOT native uart0 initialized. RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized. ./bin/native/default.elf: ioctl TUNSETIFF: Device or resource busy ./bin/native/default.elf: probably the tap interface (tap0) does not exist or is already in use dlyon@dlyon-HP8000SFF:~/RIOT/examples/my_project$ ./bin/native/default.elf tap1 RIOT native uart0 initialized. RIOT native interrupts/signals initialized. LED_GREEN_OFF LED_RED_ON RIOT native board initialized. RIOT native hardware initialization complete.

kernel_init(): This is RIOT! (Version: 2014.05-33-g3c5f8) kernel_init(): jumping into first task... UART0 thread started. uart0_init() [OK] native rtc initialized Native LTC4150 initialized. Welcome to RIOT!

Hi David,

Hi Ludwig,

Thanks.

That definitely worked. :slight_smile: and I can see the potential.

I'd suggest changing the documentation to point to the correct executable 'default.elf' not 'my_project.elf'

Have you changed the export APPLICATION = default line in the Makefile to export APPLICATION = my_project ?

If not, that could be the cause for this unexpected behaviour. Anyhow, I will make sure to make that instruction more prominent to avoid unecessary frustration. :slight_smile:

Cheers, Lotte