enums vs. macros

Dear replying IoTlers,

some time ago I had a discussion with Martine on GitHub about the usage of enums for flags [1]. Martine convinced me that seems to be wise to prefer macros over enums here, to avoid alignment issues. However, it feels somehow wrong not to use enums for this purpose (it's easier for the developer *and* the compiler if a valid data type is chosen). Does anyone know a trick around the issues that Martine mentioned:

Because flags have a width in memory that is in most cases smaller than sizeof(enum) (most bit fields I know of are 16 bits max, on most of our newer platforms, sizeof(enum) is however 32 bits). This results in every assignment needed to be cast to either uint8_t or uint16_t. With macros you don't need to cast since they are typeless.

Making the enum packed makes it's width unpredictable in terms of alignment issues, when used in struct (which is not the case here, I know).

Cheers, Oleg

[1] ng_sixlowpan: initial import by miri64 · Pull Request #2614 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub

A silly question/suggestion:

Wouldn't it make sense to use sized integer types in the struct, but a separate enum to define the values? IIRC, enum's in C are simply named integer constants. C is also very permitting in storing values into smaller integer types. For C++, of course, the situation may not be that easy.

typedef struct {   uint16_t flags; } foo_t;

typedef enum {   FOO_FLAG_ONE = 0x01,   FOO_FLAG_TWO = 0x02,   FOO_FLAG_THREE = 0x04, } foo_flags_t;

--Pekka

Hi!

Another possibility would be to use packed enums but enforce/check their size at build time with something like Rene proposed here: https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/pull/1286

Cheers, Oleg

gcc's -fshort-enums might do what you describe:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Code-Gen-Options.html:

-fshort-enums Allocate to an enum type only as many bytes as it needs for the declared range of possible values. Specifically, the enum type is equivalent to the smallest integer type that has enough room.

Warning: the -fshort-enums switch causes GCC to generate code that is not binary compatible with code generated without that switch. Use it to conform to a non-default application binary interface.

/Joakim

Hey,