Documentation/How to: IPv6, RPL and BLE

It would be great to get some documentation/how to about the whole IPv6, 6LoWPAN, IPv6 over BLE and RPL routing on OpenWRT and Linux. A full guide.

So, I put a bounty out there. 500 EUR for the person who writes an how to about it. Details can be discussed. In order to get the bounty you need to be able to bill an Estonian company though.

Let’s see how this will go. ^^

Philipp Blum via RIOT notifications@riot-os.org wrote: > It would be great to get some documentation/how to about the whole > IPv6, 6LoWPAN, IPv6 over BLE and RPL routing on OpenWRT and Linux. A > full guide.

That’s a long list of topics.

What is the list of results that you want from this document? (After reading document X, one should be able to Y)

What devices do you care to cover?

> So, I put a bounty out there. 500 EUR for the person who writes an how
> to about it. Details can be discussed. In order to get the bounty you
> need to be able to bill an Estonian company though.

I kept reading “Elbonian” :slight_smile:

That’s why I figured paying for it :smiley:

That is a good way to put it. Let’s give it a try: After reading the guide, one should be able to create a global routable network with OpenWRT on a router with an IPv6 over BLE multi-node setup behind it.

A basic setup for industrial or smart home use-cases if you will so. Something everyone can refer to as starting point. With IPv6-PD etc. The whole setup.We already have some guides around the web, so I guess it’s more of a task of adding the missing pieces and bringing it together.

The nrf52832 is a widely used microcontroller with BLE. The PineTime also uses this MCU. So I would go with this one for now, even though RISC-V would be nicer.

On the OpenWRT side, I guess some BLE capable USB interface would be needed.

Yes, indeed. You can just use a small Bluetooth 4.0 dongle. Since 4.2 is just a software upgrade, it is capable to connect RIOT to it. There is kind of a tutorial for that already. A little outdated and some details are a little different. There is also a tutorial with routing. Problem is just ignores IPv6-PD.

Just a small info: Whoever wants to work on this, please come back to me before. In order to not have any confusion or overlap with someone else etc. Thanks :slight_smile: