Discourse ate (parts of) my mail

No, with Oleg’s case there was the issue that the mail receiver application didn’t have the update letsencrypt root CA yet and was unable to validate the certificate presented by the forum.

I’m gonna guess that the email2discourse system might be in python3? It’s very intolerant of encoding failures :slight_smile:

It’s written in Ruby. This is their Github repo

It looks like Discourse will in general discard any quotation from the mail.

Now it happened to me as well! https://forum.riot-os.org/t/new-maintainer-proposal-erik-ekman/3413/8

Same here :confused: (Wi-SUN implementation and 802.15.4 status - #3 by jia200x)

it seems that we have two problems. first, that the Discourse backend doesn’t accept all emails (or not all parts of an email). second, that the backend doesn’t tell the sender of an email about the failure. for email users, the current situation makes the usage unreliable. @admin, can you update the system to improve at least the second problem?

This is already two different issues.

1. Discourse fully rejects the email because it determines that it doesn’t have a destination for the email. In that case the sender receives a bounce or equivalent back if there is a user associated with the email address (prevents Discourse from responding to all the spam email)
  2. Discourse accepts the email and parses it, but does not detect all parts of the email. This is the case described above in the opening post. This is troublesome to detect because Discourse thinks it successfully parsed the whole email.

I’ve found the trim_incoming_emails setting, which looks promising to disable for now. This might solve the issue here at the expense of sometimes showing too much from the email.

This is now disabled on the forum. Lets see if it helps

On Fri, 26 Nov 2021, Koen Zandberg via RIOT wrote:

[14_2.png] bergzand Maintainer 26 November [24_2.png] waehlisch:

first, that the Discourse backend doesn’t accept all emails (or not all parts of an
  email)

This is already two different issues.

yes, two different reasons for not accepting an email.

1. Discourse accepts the email and parses it, but does not detect all parts of the email. This is the case described above in the opening post. This is troublesome to detect because Discourse thinks it successfully parsed the whole email.

yes, the parser doesn’t work correctly, and doesn’t seem to throw an error (or the error is not caught and processed) by the rest of the system.

cheers matthias

– Matthias Waehlisch . Freie Universitaet Berlin, Computer Science … Page Redirection

I think @waehlisch’s latest mail confirms that at least the parsing issue is solved now.

Hey there,

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 12:14:08PM +0000, Martine S. Lenders via RIOT wrote:

I think @waehlisch’s latest mail confirms that at least the parsing issue is solved now.

I can at least acknowledge that my latest mail - including quoting/replying and S/MIME signature - did (almost [1]) fully show up in the forum and the mailing list. Hooray!

Cheers Oleg

[1] The only issue I have: the signature was removed - so apparently we do not have a way to verify the identify the sender of a forum posting/mailing list entry.

/* vsprintf.c – Lars Wirzenius & Linus Torvalds. */ *

• Wirzenius wrote this portably, Torvalds fucked it up :slight_smile: */ linux-2.2.16/lib/vsprintf.c

And the formatting of my mail looks broken in Discourse - but this is something the web users have to live with. ;-p

it doesn’t. in some cases, my UA sends ISO/IEC 8859-7 (Latin/Greek) as text encoding in the email together with content that might not encode ISO/IEC 8859-7. i still don’t receive any failure message but the email is silently dropped.

That would be the third case and something you might want to report upstream to the Discourse developers. But it also makes me wonder why in the first place your UA is encoding the email with such an obscure text encoding.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2021, Koen Zandberg via RIOT wrote:

[14_2.png] bergzand Maintainer 26 November

That would be the third case and something you might want to report upstream to the Discourse developers.

i’m not in the Discourse community and would appreciate if the Discourse admins take care of this to improve the situation.

But it also makes me wonder why in the first place your UA is encoding the email with such an obscure text encoding.

no clue, i’m using Alpine 2.22, and it only happens when i reply to some forum emails.

thanks matthias

– Matthias Waehlisch . Freie Universitaet Berlin, Computer Science … Page Redirection

Me neither, but I’ll look into it when I have time.

at least, reading by email is easy.

How?

you have to activate the mailing list: user icon → preferences → preferences

On 2021-12-03, at 10:45, Matthias Wählisch via RIOT notifications@riot-os.org wrote:

waehlisch Maintainer 3 December you have to activate the mailing list: user icon → preferences → preferences

Vielen Dank!

Grüße, Carsten