Discourse ate (parts of) my mail

Dear forum administrators,

last night Discourse seems to have eaten bigger parts of my mail. From my original posting here actually only the “Hey,” was posted to the forum and on the mailing list. I did verify that the mail reply I sent was complete. Any ideas how that happened and how to prevent this in the future?

Cheers Oleg

P.S. Also, the formatting looks weird in the HTML interpretation of my mail.

Thanks for the heads-up. I’ll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find something.

1 Like

I think what happened is that Discourse interpreted the rest of the email as part of the quoted text. I’m not sure what part of the email triggered this, in terms of newlines I don’t see a difference between the raw text of the email you’ve mentioned and this post from you.

So I don’t really have a solution for you for now, but please let me know if it occurs more often. Maybe we can nail this down on something in the future.

Alright, will do. :slight_smile:

I think what happened is that Discourse interpreted the rest of the email as part of the quoted text. I’m not sure what part of the email triggered this, in terms of newlines I don’t see a difference between the raw text of

Are there any best-practices to getting Discourse to work right? Does properly Usenet-style quoting help? Is top-quoting encouraged or discourages?

> So I don't really have a solution for you for now, but please let me
> know if it occurs more often. Maybe we can nail this down on something
> in the future.

Is it better if it’s HTML-only? plain-only? If it’s both, which does it consider authoritative?

It just happened again. The original mail I wrote looked like this:

Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 12:06:26 +0200
To: RIOT <forum+a79a1178151a6155ff538ecb70d23cc9@riot-os.org>
Subject: Re: [RIOT] [Meta] Riot-os.org migraton
Message-ID: <YGg+IBaUnIX9MTI1@hobbykeller.org>
References: <topic/3187@forum.riot-os.org>
    <topic/3187/11861@forum.riot-os.org>
    <alpine.WNT.2.22.404.2104031138210.16444@mw-x1>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Disposition: inline
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
In-Reply-To: <alpine.WNT.2.22.404.2104031138210.16444@mw-x1>

Hi!

On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 09:45:51AM +0000, Matthias Wählisch via RIOT wrote:
> > Thanks for the heads up. However doc.riot-os.org is at this moment 
> > unreachable. Do you know when it will be up and running again? Or are 
> > there any mirrors available?
> > 
>   there was a glitch while configuring DNS for the RIOT domains. this
> should be resolved in 24 hours; we have to wait until TTL expires.

Yes, sorry, my fault. In the mean time I configured https://api.riot-os.org as
a temporary replacement until all nameserver caches are updated.

Cheers
Oleg
--
printk(KERN_WARNING "%s: Short circuit detected on the lobe\n",
dev->name);
    linux-2.4.0-test2/drivers/net/tokenring/lanstreamer.c

There seems to be a similar problem with imported mails from the old mailing lists (see https://forum.riot-os.org/t/dropping-msp430-support-in-riot/2154/5 e.g., I fixed that, but you should still see it in the edit history. The problem seems to be quotes at a certain point (directly after the first line?). Some guidance as requested by @mcr for future reference would indeed be welcome.

It’s getting worse: my last email from 26 Oct 2021 14:09:46 +0200 isn’t showing up neither in the forum nor has been sent via mail to the partipicants. :frowning:

Thanks for reporting, this seems to be an error on our side. Will investigate later and report back.

The issue affecting that email should be solved, but I’m afraid the original either bounced or got lost somewhere

Not the result you were hoping for I guess

i was replying to this note via email but it doesn’t seem to show up

Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 14:44:34 +0200
To: RIOT <forum+7d460ebe17d265e7a64ea1dc980d7a79@riot-os.org>
Subject: Re: [RIOT] [Meta] Discourse ate (parts of) my mail

can you reveal the reason for the problem?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2021, Koen Zandberg via RIOT wrote:

> [14_2.png]
> bergzand Maintainer
> 26 October
>
> The issue affecting that email should be solved, but I’m afraid the original either bounced or
got
> lost somewhere
>
>
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.
>
> You are receiving this because you enabled mailing list mode.
>
> To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.
>
>                                                            
>
>

I really like to be able to reply by email. I should do it more often. But I will admit that I am mostly reading by email, and then commenting by browser.

at least, reading by email is easy.

I spot a hard failure in the logs from discourse side caused by your email. The email parser from discourse doesn’t properly parse the email. The only thing I can spot that could break it is that you are (or your email client is) using ISO/IEC 8859-7 (Latin/Greek) as text encoding in the email together with content that doesn’t properly encode with ISO/IEC 8859-7. Notably the (what I think is) non-breakable spaces at the end of the email and the apostrophe from my email are not properly encoded in your reply email it seems.

Could you try sending the email with UTF-8 or ascii for the content encoding?

was this the same reason in Oleg’s case?

No, with Oleg’s case there was the issue that the mail receiver application didn’t have the update letsencrypt root CA yet and was unable to validate the certificate presented by the forum.

I’m gonna guess that the email2discourse system might be in python3? It’s very intolerant of encoding failures :slight_smile:

It’s written in Ruby. This is their Github repo

It looks like Discourse will in general discard any quotation from the mail.