Development Procedures

Hi,

during the last face to face meeting the idea that assigning every PR (issue) to someone to help increase the throughput came up.

The underlying idea is that someone should always feel responsible for an issue so that it does not rot in the tracker. Being responsible includes the possibility of reassigning issues to someone else. One implication of this is we could have default assignees who act as schedulers.

What this entails and how it works is up for experiment/discussion.

- good idea? - both issues and pull requests? - guidelines?

Cheers, Ludwig

Hi!

- good idea?

+1 - I've already assigned most of the open issues for the next milestone to people.

- both issues and pull requests?

I asked myself the same question, when assigning the issues yesterday. I think it's a good idea to have someone assigned to a PR, too. In most cases the creator of the PR will be in charge to maintain it anyway, but having a second person managing the review process looks like a good idea, too.

- guidelines?

I'd say that whoever creates an issue or PR should assign someone to it. If the chosen person isn't able to manage the issue, she or he is responsible to re-assign it. It's probably also advisable that the assignee must acknowledge the assignment in order to avoid "dead" assignees.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi,

Hi!

- good idea?

+1 - I've already assigned most of the open issues for the next milestone to people.

Though it is not possible to assign more than 2 people. :frowning:

Hej,

Hi,

Hi!

- good idea?

+1

- both issues and pull requests?

I asked myself the same question, when assigning the issues yesterday. I think it's a good idea to have someone assigned to a PR, too. In most cases the creator of the PR will be in charge to maintain it anyway, but having a second person managing the review process looks like a good idea, too.

I also think, the person creating the PR should be mainly the one responsible to maintain it. But i would help to have a mechanism to trigger others to review it when nothing happens after a while...

- guidelines?

I'd say that whoever creates an issue or PR should assign someone to it. If the chosen person isn't able to manage the issue, she or he is responsible to re-assign it. It's probably also advisable that the assignee must acknowledge the assignment in order to avoid "dead" assignees.

Cheers, Oleg -- die_if_kernel("Kernel gets FloatingPenguinUnit disabled trap", regs);         linux-2.2.16/arch/sparc/kernel/traps.c

_______________________________________________ devel mailing list devel@riot-os.org http://lists.riot-os.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

_______________________________________________ devel mailing list devel@riot-os.org http://lists.riot-os.org/mailman/listinfo/devel

cheers, Hauke

I just found this: http://gerrithub.io/. Maybe we want to discuss this on the next developer meeting.

>>> - good idea? >> +1 - I've already assigned most of the open issues for the next milestone to >> people. > Though it is not possible to assign more than 2 people. :frowning:

There are creator and assignee roles, so up to 2 persons can feel responsible.

>>> - both issues and pull requests? >> I asked myself the same question, when assigning the issues yesterday. I think >> it's a good idea to have someone assigned to a PR, too. In most cases the >> creator of the PR will be in charge to maintain it anyway, but having a second >> person managing the review process looks like a good idea, too. I also think, the person creating the PR should be mainly the one responsible to maintain it. But i

Freudian typo?

would help to have a mechanism to trigger others to review it when nothing happens after a while...

I guess someone(TM) could write a python script (or whatever language someone else(TM) prefers) that takes care of assigning default assignees and stuff like that. Maybe it's possible to evaluate the recent activity as well. There could be load balancing and keyword filters...

Cheers, Ludwig

Hi!

> +1 - I've already assigned most of the open issues for the next milestone to > people.

True, but the creator of a PR is still marked as the owner.

Cheers, Oleg