Connect Renode tap interface to emulated device

I want to connect a emulated Firefly (CC2538) to a tap interface created by Renode. I executed EMULATE=1 make BOARD=firefly -C examples/gnrc_minimal/ all term from the RIOT base. I am on commit 0dfbe04c8e65e3c7528a280dbd30cebdc30f92ab From my understanding of the Renode documentation, I have to setup a wireless medium. As well as the tap interface. And connect both of them. I ended up with this config I added to the board configuration in boards/firefly/dist/board.resc I guess I can also add it over the telnet session. That shouldn’t be an issue.

emulation CreateTap "tap0" "tap"
emulation CreateWirelessMedium "wireless"
connector Connect sysbus.radio wireless
connector Connect host.tap wireless
wireless Start
host.tap Start

When I check the interface with ip addr show I get the following tap0 interface.

8: tap0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether ae:09:65:f9:b0:2e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

On the device terminal I don’t get any output. Not even the message RIOT network stack example application. The interface is also down and I don’t understand why.

When I run the same code example without the interface etc. I get an IP address output:

2022-03-19 01:37:10,926 # RIOT network stack example application
2022-03-19 01:37:10,928 # My address is fe80::acea:911c:fbc6:ed68

Where is my mistake? ^^ :smiley:

Hi! Did you end up figuring out how to do this? I’m trying to use a coap client on my host machine to connect to a coap server being emulated. I think I’m stuck at the same thing as you are/were.

I doubt I did. Sorry… I would also love to do more with renode. Especially with the whole chip shortage etc. would make development faster.