CC1101 or similar transceiver with STM32 ARM micro -- new platform questions

I've added sensor board code to TinyOS and am now wanting to make a new platform with mechanical details and radio different than ones I have used so far such as telos-b.

I noticed the limifrog and mulle seemed good to copy parts of, but then they do not publish schematics, so maybe they do not want copying.

I'd like to reuse code as much as possible, so basing my platform on existing tested STM32 platforms could be good.

The MSB-iot has all the features I want and more, so it would be good to reduce down from, but I don't find the documentation of it yet. Is it an open design? The software is GPL... but I'm not finding ways to build on previous hardware platforms easily.

So, if I want to use the same chips and software as MSB-iot, do I need to figure out the schematic to connect them up from scratch? MSB-iot uses a STM32F415RG @$10/100, 192kb RAM 1024kb flash (sounds luxurious).

Is there any write up about trade offs of using less or more memory or clock speed? For example, what is different from the above platform capabilities compared to a spark core with STM32F103CB @$5/100 pcs. cortex M3, 20kb RAM 128kb flash (sounds spartan).

Are platform questions like how to choose amounts of flash and RAM for dealing with radio OK to ask on the devel list?

Thanks, John Griessen

Hi John!

Sorry for the late response.

The MSB-iot has all the features I want and more, so it would be good to reduce down from, but I don't find the documentation of it yet. Is it an open design? The software is GPL...

The MSB-IoT is a platform designed by FU Berlin for research. I don't know if the design is open, but you could try to contact Dr. Achim Liers [1] who designed the board

So, if I want to use the same chips and software as MSB-iot, do I need to figure out the schematic to connect them up from scratch? MSB-iot uses a STM32F415RG @$10/100, 192kb RAM 1024kb flash (sounds luxurious).

Is there any write up about trade offs of using less or more memory or clock speed? For example, what is different from the above platform capabilities compared to a spark core with STM32F103CB @$5/100 pcs. cortex M3, 20kb RAM 128kb flash (sounds spartan).

Do I understand your question correctly that you want to know the impact of amount of memory and clock speed on energy consumption and performance? I guess there are papers about this. Have you checked Google Scholar?

Are platform questions like how to choose amounts of flash and RAM for dealing with radio OK to ask on the devel list?

Definitely!

Cheers, Oleg

[1] http://www.mi.fu-berlin.de/inf/groups/ag-tech/staff/0Current/liers.html