.bss will not fit in region ram

Hello everyone, today I got the linker message "...bss will not fit in region ram .....ram overlflowed by 912 bytes". I have used the examples/default Project with the STM32L053. This MCU has 8k RAM. On your web-site there is the information that the min. RAM footprint is about 1.5k. What could I do to make to make the program fit into this MCU?

Best regards Bernhard

Hi Bernhard!

today I got the linker message "...bss will not fit in region ram .....ram overlflowed by 912 bytes". I have used the examples/default Project with the STM32L053. This MCU has 8k RAM. On your web-site there is the information that the min. RAM footprint is about 1.5k. What could I do to make to make the program fit into this MCU?

Short answer: Try compiling with CFLAGS=-DGNRC_PKTBUF_SIZE=512

Long answer: 1.) The default example includes simple link-layer support using the lower     layers of the GNRC network stack. This also includes the packet buffer     which is per default configured to be 6kB. This size makes kind of sense     for an IPv6 setting, where you may need to store several IP datagrams with     a full MTU (1280 bytes for IPv6), but is most likely way too huge for     simple link-layer usage. I will open an according PR. 2.) I agree that the statement about the min. RAM footprint as mentioned on the     web page is a bit imprecise. The problem to make a sensible statement     about the minimum memory requirements is manyfold: what do you consider as     minimum? Only the kernel? Basic networking support? Simple IP support?     Only peripheral drivers? And which platform and which toolchain do you     consider?     If I remember correctly the 1.5k of RAM represents the RAM usage on a     MSP430 with hello-world.

Cheers, Oleg