The missing indication of the actual board name in a doc page1 has reminded me that I had a plan around some time ago to put some better structure to the boards we have in terms of metadata and documentation.
Challenges and areas will be:
- Which data can and do we want to express?
- How is it best expressed in a maintainable way?
- How is it made accessible without maintaining yet another documentation ecosystem outside doxygen?
- How to query this? Right now, we can’t even search for board names; in the end, I’d like “Give me boards with USB charging and BLE support that fit in a match box” to produce results.
- Can we share that information with other embedded projects? Can we mash it up with other data sources? What if different authorities have different concepts of what’s the same board? (We might treat different revisions of a board under the same name as the same board while others might not.)
- If the metadata is really good, can we ditch some code and replace it with a very small shell script?
While I’m pretty sure I can’t do any actual work on this until end of January, it may be whorthwhile to gather some comments on this til then.