absolute timpanist in vtimer

Hello,

I think enabling vtimer to await an absolute point in time would be useful, something like this [1]. Otherwise you end up subtracting the current time and adding it again in vtimer_set.

Any thoughts?

Raphael

[1] https://github.com/josephnoir/RIOT/commit/1c382965c4b4f7c0083a0bde481d375fef481567

Hi Raphael!

I think enabling vtimer to await an absolute point in time would be useful, something like this [1]. Otherwise you end up subtracting the current time and adding it again in vtimer_set.

I think something like this could indeed be helpful. However, I think we should try to collect all the different requirements for the timer system somewhere and think about a redesign. Not only that certain features are hard or even impossible to achieve with the current hwtimer/vtimer/RTC concept, but also the API could be improved and simplified quite a bit - not speaking about all the bugs and races in the current implementation.

All in all, I think it's quite urgent to establish a task force for the timer system in a similar fashion like we do for the network stack or OTA, for example. Would you be interested to participate in such a task force and maybe start already by setting up a wiki page or similar to collect the different requirements?

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Raphael!

All in all, I think it’s quite urgent to establish a task force for the timer system in a similar fashion like we do for the network stack or OTA, for example.

+1

Emmanuel

Hello,

while I see the point of a timer task force, I am not sure I am of great help rewriting it. I have no clue how it works besides a bit experience with the API. But if I can help, sure. Are there wiki pages for the other task forces?

Raphael

Hi Raphael!

while I see the point of a timer task force, I am not sure I am of great help rewriting it. I have no clue how it works besides a bit experience with the API.

The first thing we should do before rewriting or even re-designing the timer system is collecting the requirements - and for this task, everybody having a (concrete) requirement is definitely of great help.

But if I can help, sure. Are there wiki pages for the other task forces?

Not sure. You might look at the wiki pages about the network stack design or let inspire yourself by the TinyOS pages (Philipp, can you help with a link here?). But as far as I'm concerned: just start with any kind of form, we can work on this latter on. The content is much more important.

You could even start an issue in the Github tracker with a checklist or similar.

Cheers, Oleg

Hey,

here we go: https://github.com/RIOT-OS/RIOT/wiki/Timer-Task-Force

Raphael

Hey,

Hi,