802.15.4 SPI transceiver

Hi all,

we searched for a suitable 802.15.4 transceiver with SPI interface to play around on e.g. the stm32f4discovery, and came across the MRF24J40MA [1].

Has anyone experience with the device?

Best regards, Martin

[1] http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/526949.pdf

There doesn't seem to be an existing RIOT driver for the MRF24J40MA. If you are not locked to that particular chip you have the AT86RF2xx which is also SPI and seem to have a quite actively maintained RIOT driver (it is used in the IoT-Lab_M3).

Best regards, Joakim Gebart Eistec AB www.eistec.se

Hi,

the idea behind this was to have 802.15.4 support with the stm32fxdiscovery boards as they are available and kind of "popular". I agree with you that AT86RF2xx would be the best solution because of the already implemented spi-based driver but we could not find this transceiver as an external hardware device. On Samr21 xpro and IoT LAB_M3 the transceiver is onboard. For sure, the driver for MRF24J40MA then has to be implemented.

Any other experiences with (/opinions on) that device? Or does someone know where to get a AT86RF2xx with pinout?

Best, Peter

Dear Peter, How many units would you be interested in? We (Eistec) have actually designed a BeagleBone cape for the Atmel radio which we are currently evaluating for use in our gateways (WSN border router) that I guess could be used directly or re-layouted to a more compact form. The board design will not be open sourced, unless as a part of a specific contract job, but we could discuss different options for hardware sales. Contact me off-list if you are interested in discussing this.

Best regards, Joakim Gebart Managing Director Eistec AB joakim.gebart@eistec.se www.eistec.se

Hi Joakim,

thanks for your information and proposition. We just think about a hand full units (like 5) to make some lowpan communication between our present stm boards here.

Best regards, Martin