transceiver with STM32F103CB ARM micro -- new platform questions

Oleg Hahm wrote Fri Sep 18:

"Hi John!

Sorry for the late response.

> The MSB-iot has all the features I want and more, so it would be good to > reduce down from, but I don't find the documentation of it yet. Is it an > open design? The software is GPL...

The MSB-IoT is a platform designed by FU Berlin for research. I don't know if the design is open, but you could try to contact Dr. Achim Liers [1] who designed the board"

Thanks. I'm very late also -- I found your response in the archives -- missed emails those days, I guess.

"> For example, what is different from the above platform capabilities compared > to a spark core with STM32F103CB @$5/100 pcs. cortex M3, 20kb RAM 128kb > flash > (sounds spartan).

Do I understand your question correctly that you want to know the impact of amount of memory and clock speed on energy consumption and performance? "

I am simply looking for a guide to making a platform that will run RIOT with the recent stable release without running out of memory. After that, I am interested in studying RIOT code to learn about easy ways to sleep and slow the clock for power savings while still listening with a 900MHz radio.

Then maybe I can become more of a contributor of code and open hardware modules.

John Griessen

Hi John,

I am simply looking for a guide to making a platform that will run RIOT with the recent stable release without running out of memory. After that, I am interested in studying RIOT code to learn about easy ways to sleep and slow the clock for power savings while still listening with a 900MHz radio.

in the current version, RIOT requires about 60kB of ROM (w/o shell) and less than 18kB of RAM for an application with the full network stack (including 6LoWPAN, RPL, and UDP). RAM usage depends very much on your use case. Default configuration allocates 6kB for buffering packets and memory for a forwarding table of length 20.

Cheers, Oleg

The forwarding table is for multihop routing, I presume. Is anyone testing that out?

Hey John,

The forwarding table is for multihop routing, I presume. Is anyone testing that out?

Yes, we're running more or less continuously experiments based on multi-hop routing (mostly RPL).

Cheers, Oleg