RPL/UDP for msp430 platforms

Hi RIOT users,

I created a network with several nodes that communicate using RPL and UDP in native. It works well. Thansk all for your work.

But I was wondering if I can use this code on platforms as for example on Zolertia. But I can’t build my code for Zolertia board as I get an error saying “region ‘ram’ overflowed” (same for region ‘rom’). Is my code not adapted to small platforms or is it due to the implementation of the network stack in RIOT ?

I can see in the branch master that you have done a lot of new improvements on networking (ng_*) but as the example in examples/ng_networking is described for RIOT native, is it possible to use the same kind of things for Zolertia or other platforms ?

Thanks a lot for your help, I am a little lost :slight_smile:

Caroline QUEVA Research Engineer at CEA-LIST DRT/LIST/DACLE/LIALP Laboratoire Infrastructures et Ateliers pour le Logiciel sur Puces

Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives MINATEC Campus | 17 rue des Martyrs | 38054 Grenoble Cedex 9

Hi Caroline!

But I was wondering if I can use this code on platforms as for example on Zolertia. But I can't build my code for Zolertia board as I get an error saying "region 'ram' overflowed" (same for region 'rom'). Is my code not adapted to small platforms or is it due to the implementation of the network stack in RIOT ?

Actually making things more memory efficient was one of the motivations to start work on the new network stack. In general, we're aiming to make it possible to run an RPL/UDP application on smaller platforms such as the Z1, too. With the old network this is difficult, if not impossible, and manual tweaking all over the place is required.

I could give you some advices where to save some memory, but my recommendation is: wait until the end of this week and use the new (gnrc) network stack. We're about to merge the porting of RPL to gnrc this week (see ng_rpl: port to the new network stack by cgundogan · Pull Request #3050 · RIOT-OS/RIOT · GitHub). (Thanks, Cenk, for the great work!)

I can see in the branch master that you have done a lot of new improvements on networking (ng_*) but as the example in examples/ng_networking is described for RIOT native, is it possible to use the same kind of things for Zolertia or other platforms ?

As I wrote: yes, that's definitely intended and we're optimistic to get the full new stack ready and stable by the end of this month.

Cheers, Oleg